Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2011, 12:36 PM
Allstar

EDIT , problem solve, I entre on the server a password like aaaa+1234 with the sign + , I was able to log on the server with it, but on the client no way, I fix it changing the password for only aaaaaaa

ok I install vmware esxi and the sphere client , it ask for a user name and passwork , I try root and the password i setup on the server, but it said non valid, witch user and password I use by default the first time i log to the client, or where the H... I setup a username and password on the server

thanks

Last edited by botat29; March 4, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old March 4, 2011, 01:53 PM
Allstar

I have been using VMware ESX for the past few years, and just recently was convinced to give Citrix XenServer a try. I like what they have done with the manager recently its a lot more user friendly and is more compatible with hardware then ESX. My internal testing showed almost no difference between ESX and Xen. ESX has the widest range of support I think for VMs, Xen seems to be running everything I throw at it. So they both get my vote. Both have free versions and both have paid... if its a single server setup, Xen will be cheaper. 3 or more it might be more of a toss up with the deals you can get.
Old March 4, 2011, 02:01 PM
Allstar

I would give a try to Xen for sure as I found ESXi very hard on hardware choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I have been using VMware ESX for the past few years, and just recently was convinced to give Citrix XenServer a try. I like what they have done with the manager recently its a lot more user friendly and is more compatible with hardware then ESX. My internal testing showed almost no difference between ESX and Xen. ESX has the widest range of support I think for VMs, Xen seems to be running everything I throw at it. So they both get my vote. Both have free versions and both have paid... if its a single server setup, Xen will be cheaper. 3 or more it might be more of a toss up with the deals you can get.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

I'm using Virtual Box here. It does everything I need it too and it's free.

I have it for home use...just need it for some legacy stuff and testing out new programs.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
Allstar

I install Xendesktop, WOW, everything work the first time, and they even include a video tutorial, so bad it's OS guest limited, it's so much friendly to use.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Which VM software would you guys use if you wanted to test Windows 7 and Server 2008? I plan on going for my MCITP:SA/EA certification. It looks like the new vmware workstation is ideal albeit it's optimized for intel and not amd.

I am running 1090t crosshair iv formula 8 gigs.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post
Which VM software would you guys use if you wanted to test Windows 7 and Server 2008? I plan on going for my MCITP:SA/EA certification. It looks like the new vmware workstation is ideal albeit it's optimized for intel and not amd.

As I already suggested before .. I'd be installing VirtualBox

Both of those OS's run perfectly fine in the VM software.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesamess View Post

since you want study 2008, you will probably want a domain, or else why study 2008, so if you use VirtualBox install on a Windows 7 PC ( or even VMware WS) , you have to install also a windows 7 in VM , because you have to fire the domain ( 2008 ) before the workstation. ( so you need 2 * win 7 licenses)

another way will be to use the hyper-v role include with 2008r2 and install the 7 in it.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
As I already suggested before .. I'd be installing VirtualBox

Both of those OS's run perfectly fine in the VM software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
since you want study 2008, you will probably want a domain, or else why study 2008, so if you use VirtualBox install on a Windows 7 PC ( or even VMware WS) , you have to install also a windows 7 in VM , because you have to fire the domain ( 2008 ) before the workstation. ( so you need 2 * win 7 licenses)

another way will be to use the hyper-v role include with 2008r2 and install the 7 in it.
Thanks guys. I will be running a domain ofcourse. I'm thinking 3 servers and 1 maybe two clients. I have a technet subscription so I have keys. I know very little about Hyper V but I do have a little bit of experience with ESX and ESXi from fooling around as well as VMware Workstation.

It looks like VirtualBox seems ideal as I don't need the 3D functionality of Aero and I won't be gaming on the VMs. I do like that I can make clones, templates and snapshots though.