Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

At home

Virtualbox or VMWare Server (GSX) the vmware product is free but very limited.

At Work

Hyper-V with VMM

I normally use virtualbox for prototyping new build images and what not.

Old January 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Allstar

honestly I try to make my sound work with VMware , NO WAY..... so I Install Ubuntu 10.10 on Virtual Box and the Guest Additions and now I have the size and the sound.

For a $ 200 software VMware should work on this problem ASAP. I google and found no answer on how to fix this sound problem.
Old January 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have used ubuntu 9/10 with no problems of sound or screen at all still can't find an osx that works of any kind, it's just apple hating back at me hahaha running both as we type
Old January 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Allstar

I gone give a try to VMware in another PC to see if the sound work...
Old January 24, 2011, 01:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I just installed VirtualBox again tonight for a second time. Had it on my old rig and finally got around to putting it on my new rig.

I have Ubuntu and OSX running and they seem to be working great on VirtualBox. I haven't used VMware in a long time so I can't really say.

Plus side to VirtualBox is its free like mentioned above. Other than that can't really add much more to this thread other than +1 for VirtualBox.
Old January 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

I use VMWare Player (the free one from VMWare) every day. I run an Ubuntu server instance that I can ssh into with putty. I've setup the Ubuntu server to have a static IP, so I can use it to mimic my live server. VMWare Player also has unity mode, which I've only used a bit (no value when running a virtualized OS that doesn't have a gui of any sort), but seemed to work well. I'd give this a go before you spend 200$ on something, or settle with a different free version.
Old January 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using VBox for personnal/testing purposes. Works great. I don't see what could make Vmware worth the money for me. On another note, VMware are doing some awesome stuff at the enterprise level.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
Rookie
F@H

Also using ESXi. Although, I use VMware Workstation and Virtualbox sometimes locally.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
ok let's talk about this one, if I understand well, you install it first on a hard Drive, and after you install the OS, it have it's own kernel, so it's not running over an OS, if so it's what i will prefer, as I want dedicate a build for it anyway, I can see they have a free download for the Sphere ESXi, but is it a trial or the full product, and I notice the Sphere is $ 1200 and up, what is the difference, of course with $ 1200 I will prefer build 2 more PC instead.

edit: wait, this is only good to install a server since you have to access it with a client on another pc ?
Correct, you have to access it remotely via the vSphere client.

As for cost, there is a free license as well. The free version likely will be able to do whatever you need it to. I can't see many reasons you would need more than that for a home solution, and even then, it is still quite powerful.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I don't think that anyone should buy virtual software if they are just doing simple things like testing OS and or things to that nature I think that allot of personal software should be free or Donation based . all the suggestions like VB and the like are all good.