Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
Allstar

I agree that VirtualBox look more simple, but I have another problem with it, my Ubuntu desktop is limited to 800 x 600, and I google how to fix it, and it's seems not to easy to do, ( Iím very newbie with linux, I want VM to learn it ) with VMware I can adjust my Ubuntu to 1920 x 1200 without make any change, please note than Iím using both virtual since only yesterday, so Iím far to be an expert. So for me until now, $ 200 seems to be a better choice. In the case of Ubuntu, I try with Windows Virtual PC, no success, I try with VMware we use with Folding, no success, I try with VirtualBox, easy install, but no adjustment of resolution and problem with my Windows 7 browsing, and with VMware Workstation, work right the first timeÖ So itís look that if I want it easy I pay $ 200, if I want something free, I have a learning curve. So I have to choice to spent money or timeÖ.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I agree that VirtualBox look more simple, but I have another problem with it, my Ubuntu desktop is limited to 800 x 600, and I google how to fix it, and it's seems not to easy to do, ( Iím very newbie with linux, I want VM to learn it ) with VMware I can adjust my Ubuntu to 1920 x 1200 without make any change, please note than Iím using both virtual since only yesterday, so Iím far to be an expert. So for me until now, $ 200 seems to be a better choice. In the case of Ubuntu, I try with Windows Virtual PC, no success, I try with VMware we use with Folding, no success, I try with VirtualBox, easy install, but no adjustment of resolution and problem with my Windows 7 browsing, and with VMware Workstation, work right the first timeÖ So itís look that if I want it easy I pay $ 200, if I want something free, I have a learning curve. So I have to choice to spent money or timeÖ.
How to Increase Screen Resolution for Ubuntu in Virtual Box | eHow.com
Old January 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
Allstar

VirtualBox mostly.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

VMWare ESXi but it's a bare metal hypervisor meaning you need another pc around. Not something you install on top of your windows/apple/etc OS.

Old January 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Currently running virtualbox on my school laptop. I haven't had any issues thus far, even with 64 bit OS's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
VirtualBox runs fine with x64 OS in fact I have OS X running in a VM in a 64bit OS.
I was actually talking about x64 Guest OS'es, not running VirtualBox in a x64 Host.
Old January 19, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I was actually talking about x64 Guest OS'es, not running VirtualBox in a x64 Host.
Yes that is how my OS X Guest is running.
Old January 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
MVP

VMWare at work, since they pay for it.

VirtualBox at home.
Old January 19, 2011, 10:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

qemu O_O
Old January 20, 2011, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

since were on vm's here's sorry for the offtopic kinda i can not get any version of a osx to run on vmworkstation. i just want to try it out. since there so many mac lovers here. and before you ask yes i downloaded it cause i just want to try it out if it's good then i may buy one.
Old January 20, 2011, 06:33 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
VMWare ESXi but it's a bare metal hypervisor meaning you need another pc around. Not something you install on top of your windows/apple/etc OS.

ok let's talk about this one, if I understand well, you install it first on a hard Drive, and after you install the OS, it have it's own kernel, so it's not running over an OS, if so it's what i will prefer, as I want dedicate a build for it anyway, I can see they have a free download for the Sphere ESXi, but is it a trial or the full product, and I notice the Sphere is $ 1200 and up, what is the difference, of course with $ 1200 I will prefer build 2 more PC instead.

edit: wait, this is only good to install a server since you have to access it with a client on another pc ?

Last edited by botat29; January 20, 2011 at 06:55 AM.