Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
alex

Smile How can we avoid winsock hijack in XP?

Want to know. How to make XP more secure. Too many malwares. All of them just want to hijack your computer.:cool:
Old December 9, 2006, 05:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Want to know. How to make XP more secure. Too many malwares. All of them just want to hijack your computer.:cool:
You can try running Vmware or Virtual PC for all of your surfing needs. That way if you get hijacked you can just return the virtual PC back to it's original config to get rid of all the crap.

Or, you can also use a live Linux distro for your surfing needs and avoid the hassle all together. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 9, 2006, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Simple. Don't run Windows.

On the other hand and back to reality don't want issues with windows? Get a router, setup static ips, close off all ports and if the router is wireless shutdown the wireless system.

Install Avast/AVG for a free good anti-virus, spybot for the spyware and quit using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird and call it a day... oh yah and don't install Sp2 :P

I have had a Windows install going now for almost a year still run SP1 and did my last Windows update dating back in ... march?
Old February 12, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Simple. Don't run Windows.

On the other hand and back to reality don't want issues with windows? Get a router, setup static ips, close off all ports and if the router is wireless shutdown the wireless system.

Install Avast/AVG for a free good anti-virus, spybot for the spyware and quit using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird and call it a day... oh yah and don't install Sp2 :P

I have had a Windows install going now for almost a year still run SP1 and did my last Windows update dating back in ... march?
I agree 100%. I am running the same setup Windows XP SP1 and haven't done a windows update in a year. Then again I don't use IE and I don't use Outlook Express. I use Firefox and Gmail.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old March 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've never had a problem with SP2. Been running the same install for almost 14 months now. I do tons of surfing on IE and Firefox. Just don't open things you shouldn't and stay away from pron and warez sites.
Old March 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You mean SP1?
Old March 19, 2007, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, I meant SP2. Never saw any real reason to avoid it and I have no problems running it. In fact, I think people are being fearful for not running it, but that is purely my opinion. Most virus', hijacks and other bad things that get loaded onto a PC are due to the user either clicking on things they shouldn't, visiting bad places and just not taking any personal caution in general with using their PC. If you stay on reputable sites and don't clikc on the "You're the 10000000 visitor" flash links and the biggest evil enemy, Java, should always be disabled.