Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   How can we avoid winsock hijack in XP? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/4-how-can-we-avoid-winsock-hijack-xp.html)

alex October 24, 2006 11:10 AM

How can we avoid winsock hijack in XP?

Want to know. How to make XP more secure. Too many malwares. All of them just want to hijack your computer.:cool:

sswilson December 9, 2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex (Post 5)
Want to know. How to make XP more secure. Too many malwares. All of them just want to hijack your computer.:cool:

You can try running Vmware or Virtual PC for all of your surfing needs. That way if you get hijacked you can just return the virtual PC back to it's original config to get rid of all the crap.

Or, you can also use a live Linux distro for your surfing needs and avoid the hassle all together. :)

enaberif December 9, 2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex (Post 5)

Simple. Don't run Windows.

On the other hand and back to reality don't want issues with windows? Get a router, setup static ips, close off all ports and if the router is wireless shutdown the wireless system.

Install Avast/AVG for a free good anti-virus, spybot for the spyware and quit using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird and call it a day... oh yah and don't install Sp2 :P

I have had a Windows install going now for almost a year still run SP1 and did my last Windows update dating back in ... march?

BALISTX February 12, 2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 305)
Simple. Don't run Windows.

On the other hand and back to reality don't want issues with windows? Get a router, setup static ips, close off all ports and if the router is wireless shutdown the wireless system.

Install Avast/AVG for a free good anti-virus, spybot for the spyware and quit using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer and switch to Firefox and Thunderbird and call it a day... oh yah and don't install Sp2 :P

I have had a Windows install going now for almost a year still run SP1 and did my last Windows update dating back in ... march?

I agree 100%. I am running the same setup Windows XP SP1 and haven't done a windows update in a year. Then again I don't use IE and I don't use Outlook Express. I use Firefox and Gmail.

b1lk1 March 19, 2007 01:48 PM

I've never had a problem with SP2. Been running the same install for almost 14 months now. I do tons of surfing on IE and Firefox. Just don't open things you shouldn't and stay away from pron and warez sites.

Babrbarossa March 19, 2007 02:20 PM

You mean SP1?

b1lk1 March 19, 2007 03:19 PM

No, I meant SP2. Never saw any real reason to avoid it and I have no problems running it. In fact, I think people are being fearful for not running it, but that is purely my opinion. Most virus', hijacks and other bad things that get loaded onto a PC are due to the user either clicking on things they shouldn't, visiting bad places and just not taking any personal caution in general with using their PC. If you stay on reputable sites and don't clikc on the "You're the 10000000 visitor" flash links and the biggest evil enemy, Java, should always be disabled.