Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 02:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows Vista Key question

Hi guys, quick question regarding Windows key if anyone knows the answer. Here's my situation, I have an old store bought hp i purchased in 07 thats out of commish and i still have my Windows vista key representing the copy of windows i rightufully paid for and own.

Now my question, if i was to go out and buy (new) one of those two disc (32-64bit) windows vista ultimate Packages would i then be able to use the 64 bit and new key on a new build and then install 32 bit on another PC using my old key from my hp? Will my old windows key(eom because its HP) still be able to activate a 32 bit install from a non oem CD?

from what i've researched an vista ultimate CD will install vista home premium with a regular key but i dont not know if i will run into trouble because my windows key is from an HP oem

would be great if i could get an new vista OS and then another with my old pc, then maybe i could stop being so cheap and make that second build that i've been itching for a while now

Last edited by johnnyblazzwa; January 15, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old January 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OEM keys from pre-builts aren't the same license as OEM keys you'd get when you purchase an OEM version w/ disk. Short answer is that it's probably tied to the specific hardware, and that since microsoft doesn't support that kind of OEM key (the PC manufacturer does the OS support) it won't install without some work.

That said, there are methods of getting those OEM keys to work, however you'd have to google it as discussions here on the subject would be crossing the line WRT the EULA.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks for the quick response wilson, i'm thinking i may try it, worst case i'll just have a vista 64-bit to use and wont get my old slimline working again. Vista never bothered me personally and operating systems is one of my biggest piss off's when it comes to the expense of a new build
Old January 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only way to get those keys to work is entirely illegal unless it's being put on another HP (or other various manufacturers) that came with Vista.

The basics of it is that the BIOS contains a special key within that matches up to that OEM Vista key. Then within Windows, you also need a certificate file to validate these 2 items. Once all 3 requirements are met, it will activate without Internet and permanently.

But as sswilson said, if you Google around you'll find many ways to get around that but nothing further can be discussed here.
Old January 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not to be a dink, but you don't own anything windows other than a license to use it. Even worse, an OEM key will only activate with the original OEM process a JD describes. You're better off downloading a cracked version than trying to get that key to work because it will be damn near impossible to do without the original hardware.

I always use the upgrade versions as there is no limit to the amount of activations although even that is not very legal as well.
Old January 15, 2011, 04:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The only way to get those keys to work is entirely illegal unless it's being put on another HP (or other various manufacturers) that came with Vista.

The basics of it is that the BIOS contains a special key within that matches up to that OEM Vista key. Then within Windows, you also need a certificate file to validate these 2 items. Once all 3 requirements are met, it will activate without Internet and permanently.

But as sswilson said, if you Google around you'll find many ways to get around that but nothing further can be discussed here.
yeah, after further googling it i should be fine because the oem key i plan on using is still the original HP with the same MB. Of course the new key i would get with my purchase of vista will go on a new pc which is why i want to buy one of those vista ultimate packs that come with both a 32 bit and 64 bit install CD so new build is 64 bit and not 32 like my hp

thanks for your input
Old January 15, 2011, 06:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I surely wouldn't buy Vista at this point. Go for Windows 7, it's far better.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I very recentlly did a h/drive swap from an old Acer lappy to an newer Acer netbook.
Didn't have a backup for the netbook so on a whim tried the old h-drive.
Everything booted, no Windows activation was required, updated.
Sister in law was tickled pink going from Vista to W7
I have no idea WHY it worked but it did, maybe you'll get lucky too.
Never know till you try.