Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default remote access ( for free )

Ok well i have used realvnc for a while but after watching a video it got me thinking is there any free software

out there that the everyday "end user" can use very easy this is something i have had a few people ask me

but i real never bothered to look cause well it was not in my interest to look for them. please any

recommended app thanks all.

and yes i can use google and search myself ( i already did ) just hoping some folks could recommend some so i don't have to try a whole bunch of new 1's .
Old December 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

If you have Windows Pro versions the built-in remote desktop works fine -- Start > run/search > mstsc -- it's what I use. Home versions will work as clients but not servers.

Another popular freebie is LogMeIn:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/
Old December 27, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i was thinking about giving the ms one a try and i have heard some good things about logmein thanks the more the merrier
Old December 27, 2010, 04:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I use remote desktop with my htpc/server and works great for what i need it to do.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya going to play with it a bit and see whats up.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, logmein the free version is a great option. What is good about it is that you don't have to worry about getting ports right and all that like you do with remote desktop (if you are outside your network). Logmein works and it even has a iphone/ipad version (paid though).

Old December 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are free VNC clients out there too. I'm pretty sure RealVNC has a free version. TightVNC is also free.

Then there's things like Comodo EasyVPN as well which gives you even more functionality for free.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Logmein is probably the best. It always works, though firewalls or what have you....

Remote desktop is not near as slick but works in a pinch.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
MVP
F@H

UltraVNC

very simple
Old December 28, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks guys for all the help will check them out, a little offtopic but in my searches last night i found this very help full little app and site for people who just want access to there media so i thought well why not the more options i have to give to folks the better so i gave it a shot and it seems to work great and it's totally free check it out the only thing that worries me is how do they make money . MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software