Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

Default Backing up for a new build

So, I am finally putting my new build together this month and am making the jump from Vista to Windows 7 (can't wait), and need to backup my movie/audio files. I have an external hard drive that I have been doing backups on and should do the trick, but I am curious about something. If I am building a new computer with a new hard drive, is there a way to simply plug the old hard drive into the new system and pull the files in off the old drive? Sneaking suspicion that it wont work, but this is the first time I am switching computers and not doing a clean sweep.

Thanks all,

Lyxtwing
Old December 20, 2010, 05:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

whether the old HDD is in or out of the new system, i think you can just make a copy/paste from the old one to the new one; as simple as that. :-)

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old December 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just a word of caution that you may want to install the OS on the new computer first before plugging the old hard drive in, or the Windows installer may try to put stuff on the old drive (e.g. the bootloader) or add the Windows install of the old computer to your list of operating systems.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyxtwing View Post
If I am building a new computer with a new hard drive, is there a way to simply plug the old hard drive into the new system and pull the files in off the old drive?
That's usually how I do it when I upgrade.

As others have suggested, keep the old system intact or the old HDD in a safe location until the new build is finished to your satisfaction.

Then you can connect the old HDD to the new build as either ex/internal drive and copy files over. The only things that the new install will not be able to read are files encrypted with Windows' EFS (you need to have the appropriate recovery key). There may also be folders/files that you'll have to change user access control permissions before you can access them.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the advice all. It is much appreciated.
Old December 20, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just plug her in after setting up the new system works fine
Old December 21, 2010, 02:22 AM
Rookie

very good :)