Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2010, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

Default Window movie maker windows 7 artifacts problem

hey everyone. I was hoping to get some help with a problem that a friend of mine is having with windows movie maker. he gets some wierd artifacts that seem to be randomly generating. never being on the same videos/pictures, and only happen after movie maker is opened and after its been running for a minute or so. The picture below shows the problem. After this happens, it also shows up everywhere. desktop, browsers, everywhere. the strange thing is that it also shows up in the dvd he makes with the videos.

we've updated the video card drivers, and i've searched for a while and have had no success. any help asap would be appreciated. thanks

here is the problem: Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
Old December 18, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to be honesty this looks like gpu overheating to me but you say it only happens when movie maker is open so it leads me to believe that it is one of the codec that movie make is using try using something else like virtualdubmod or winavi if possible
Old December 18, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with gingerbee - the way you say everything corrupts afterwards makes me believe it's a hardware problem. Try running OCCT's "Power Supply" test, or some combination of a CPU and GPU stress test to see if that happens as well. It could also be bad memory if you're using integrated graphics (as the IGP starts to pick up bad data from the memory).

It's a little strange that you say it's Movie MAKER because at least for MPEG movies it handles the playback differently than Media Player does. I think Movie Maker uses a CPU-based or at least CPU-biased codec, because when my GPU went bad Media Player or GPU-accelerated Youtube wouldn't play my videos by Movie Maker would.
Old December 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
Top Prospect

Well, I would agree that it is most likely the graphics card overheating because I read online that movie maker uses the GPU quite a bit (was a suprise to me as well). HE will be bringing his tower here tomorrow for me to look at and try a different graphics card to see if it makes a difference. he uses a 1.86ghz core duo and an nvidia geforce 7300 gt.