Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default 2008 r2 workgroup limitation

I would like to know if you have a limitation of 10 ( like xp ) users with a 2008 server setup with a workgroup and no Domain Controller, I will receive my 2008 tomorrow with 15 cals, and because I donít have xp pro and win7 pro in each pn ( 13) I want to setup the server as workgroup only.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,904

My System Specs

Default

I would take a guess and say no. Although it's typically not recommended to use workgroups if you have more than 10 users as management gets very messy.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
grinder's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 821

My System Specs

Default

No, you won't have a problem.

Like JD said, it'll be an administrative nightmare to manage and maintain. Good luck - have fun :)
__________________
Phenom II 945 :: ASUS M4A78-E (780G) :: BFG 285GTX :: 4GB Mushkin DDR2 (5-4-4-12) :: Creative Xi-Fi :: Seagate 500 gig 7200.12 (better than WD BLACK!!!!!) :: Samsung 2493HM
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 14, 2010, 10:35 PM
odis172's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 683

My System Specs

Default

In a workgroup, the server acts just like any other computer in the workgroup. The 10 user limitation will apply, now that is not a limit of 10 users, but 10 concurrent connections to any share in the workgroup at any one time. So you could have more then 10 computers in the workgroup, but its not a great idea. Also, remember in order for your clients to maintain persistent connections to the shares, all users must have a login on the computer hosting the share, (with a password - and preferably, use the same username and password on the hosting computer, as the account used to log in to the user's own station.
__________________
Laptop: Lenovo T420 - Core i5 2520 - 8GB DDR3
Server: 2 xeon E5530 - Asus Z8N-D6 - 12GB DDR3 - 8x 500GB raid 50 - Perc 6/i - Compucase RA448A00
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 15, 2010, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 242
Default

I think the number of concurrent connections allowed by WS2k8 is something like 16 million. Entering "net config server" at the CMD prompt/console will tell you the max number allowed.

I don't know what you have running on the server, but if you don't plan on using a domain then Windows Home Server, which is a lot cheaper, might just work for you.
__________________
iK ©
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
odis172's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 683

My System Specs

Default

Thats if your running a domain. It would then be limited by the number of CALs you have
__________________
Laptop: Lenovo T420 - Core i5 2520 - 8GB DDR3
Server: 2 xeon E5530 - Asus Z8N-D6 - 12GB DDR3 - 8x 500GB raid 50 - Perc 6/i - Compucase RA448A00
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 17, 2010, 08:41 AM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
So you could have more then 10 computers in the workgroup, but its not a great idea. Also, remember in order for your clients to maintain persistent connections to the shares, all users must have a login on the computer hosting the share,

this is not a problem since I will use only 1 server, they are no files sharing betwen workstations, only workstation to server

but what exactly is this limitation ? I have 15 cals, and 13 computers, is this a limit of 10 connection to the server or 10 connection to a specific files

hope my question is clear, english is not my best
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 6, 2011, 12:42 PM
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default Workgroup Limitations on Server 2003 or 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I would like to know if you have a limitation of 10 ( like xp ) users with a 2008 server setup with a workgroup and no Domain Controller, I will receive my 2008 tomorrow with 15 cals, and because I donít have xp pro and win7 pro in each pn ( 13) I want to setup the server as workgroup only.

Thanks
I have been operating a small(65 user)workgroup using Server 2003 and now 2008. I don't run Active Directory, as it only slows everything down. I don't use DNS, or have the server set up to be a domain controller. We only need the server for file shares and that's it. The company I work for is an Architectural/Engineering Design firm. They don't host their email, better to let someone else pay for the equipment and maintenance upkeep. Yes, you do have a little more work setting up the users, and we are on a Static IP LAN, so no DHCP auto anything. We have two other offices accessing the main file server, one back East, and the other in lower central US, using a 24/7 VPN, through Steelhead compression boxes at all offices to speed up the access transfer rates of drawings and documents. Some files tend to be a few megabytes up to 130 Meg for one file. The only time we had a resource issue was back when we needed to share a printer from a workstation, which did limit concurrent users. The Server was and has never been an issue to this day. Of course, we have all the CAL's and licensing to back every connection. Our server has only gone down when there was a power outage, and the UPS battery ran out from being off to long. This usually only happened late at night. Power back on, server back up. There you have it, 65 users(concurrent), and no issues accessing files or resources off the server, all on one workgroup.
Sure I could have created more workgroups, but for what? We don't use Network Neighborhood, we use shortcuts to the server shares, and have never had any issues. I have tried using Active Directory, but only had issues with the service disconnecting users after a few minutes. I say keep things simple, and only install what you need. Warning, if you create all your users, and then install Active Directory, it will import all your Users. But if you un-install Active Directory, it wipes out every user, and you have to create all your users again.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
botat29's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgrafix View Post
.....I say keep things simple, and only install what you need. ..

Thanks all. I finally install the server in workgroup, an in few months I will add a second server and change for a domain, I make a discovery ( at least for me); XP home work stations can access server files even if it's not join to the domain..... is there fun when it's too simple ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
In a workgroup, the server acts just like any other computer in the workgroup. The 10 user limitation will apply, ..
No it's not another computer, it's a server, as I discover servers have no 10 limitations, they are limit by the CALs. but.........




Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Thats if your running a domain. It would then be limited by the number of CALs you have

MS with 2008 don't check or validate the CALs, so the server work fine with 5 CALs and 15 clients on it, againts the licence but it work fine. I was very much surprise. But anayway, cost me only $ 260 and I'm 100% ok.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 22, 2014, 01:06 PM
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgrafix View Post
I have been operating a small(65 user)workgroup using Server 2003 and now 2008. I don't run Active Directory, as it only slows everything down. I don't use DNS, or have the server set up to be a domain controller. We only need the server for file shares and that's it. The company I work for is an Architectural/Engineering Design firm. They don't host their email, better to let someone else pay for the equipment and maintenance upkeep. Yes, you do have a little more work setting up the users, and we are on a Static IP LAN, so no DHCP auto anything. We have two other offices accessing the main file server, one back East, and the other in lower central US, using a 24/7 VPN, through Steelhead compression boxes at all offices to speed up the access transfer rates of drawings and documents. Some files tend to be a few megabytes up to 130 Meg for one file. The only time we had a resource issue was back when we needed to share a printer from a workstation, which did limit concurrent users. The Server was and has never been an issue to this day. Of course, we have all the CAL's and licensing to back every connection. Our server has only gone down when there was a power outage, and the UPS battery ran out from being off to long. This usually only happened late at night. Power back on, server back up. There you have it, 65 users(concurrent), and no issues accessing files or resources off the server, all on one workgroup.
Sure I could have created more workgroups, but for what? We don't use Network Neighborhood, we use shortcuts to the server shares, and have never had any issues. I have tried using Active Directory, but only had issues with the service disconnecting users after a few minutes. I say keep things simple, and only install what you need. Warning, if you create all your users, and then install Active Directory, it will import all your Users. But if you un-install Active Directory, it wipes out every user, and you have to create all your users again.
Edgar said "Of course, we have all the CAL's and licensing to back every connection. " I want to use
server 2008 with only 20 users in a 'workgroup' for file sharing only. Are the CAL's really legally required?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel K series relieve CPU multiplier limitation-Core i7-875K OC performance Review windwithme Member Reviews 6 July 18, 2010 07:51 AM
Server 2008 R2 JD HardwareCanucks F@H Team 4 January 29, 2010 11:57 AM
Computers Can't See Each Other Even if in Same Workgroup geokilla Networking 0 October 4, 2008 12:52 PM
Lansomnia 2008 cdn_Madrach Canadian LAN Parties & Events 6 June 8, 2008 07:36 AM
No Man's Lan 2008 vertex112 Canadian LAN Parties & Events 20 February 13, 2008 11:18 AM