Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: How likely are you to exchange a Windows laptop for a browser-only Chrome OS one?
very 1 1.96%
fifty-fifty 4 7.84%
unlikely 46 90.20%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2010, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Default Chrome OS: Poised to take 60% of Windows Business?

Anand's Thoughts on Google's Chrome OS - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Home - Chrome OS

Google has started shipping reference design demo units to select people running their Chrome OS. [if you want to apply, use the second link above]. They think that it has the potential to take away 60% of Windows business, and it's hard to argue with that number.

An 'instant-on, zero maintenance, 99.99% secure, free OS license, relatively fast' netbook looks like a winner. If they can develop a significant user base to stimulate their Chrome OS app store, and attract developers, I can see a lot of people ditching some or all of their Windows licenses.
There is no need to run a full blown Windows instillation and security applications just to run a browser.

For example, my wife has a mid range HP laptop. It takes at least 2 minutes to boot, it has had several driver/software issues that she could not solve without help, & and it is not very speedy. 90% of the time she is using a web browser. The other 10% is photo and word processing stuff. Assuming there are photo and word processing cloud apps available, I'm pretty sure she would be more than happy to see the backside of hp and Windows.

Me, not so much. I work and game on my machine and that means platform specific compiled code and power.

Do you guys think you might ditch some of your Windows licences?

Last edited by David Milch; December 9, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old December 9, 2010, 04:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Only on a very cheap tablet style connectivity device, and google would hate me as a customer as I'd refuse to purchase any kind of apps... ;)

Personally.... I'd be more inclined to go with a mature Linux distro than something put out by google. I personally don't trust them with any more of my private info than they've already got their grubby hands on.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 9, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Google simply doesn't have a "brand" like Apple does, people aren't going to be fighting to buy one.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Only on a very cheap tablet style connectivity device, and google would hate me as a customer as I'd refuse to purchase any kind of apps... ;)

Personally.... I'd be more inclined to go with a mature Linux distro than something put out by google. I personally don't trust them with any more of my private info than they've already got their grubby hands on.

I'm in agreement with you on these points. And plus he mentions that his wife's notebook takes 2 minutes to boot and all the other issues with it, well I have a notebook that would be I guess mid-range and it boots in about 30 seconds if you count the time it takes for me to enter my password. Then there is my wife's netbook and it boots about the same. Let's face it if your machine is taking two minutes to boot then get a better machine or fix it by redoing the OS or the many other ways to speed it up. What do you bet she still has all the bloat ware that HP loaded onto it and that would certainly slow the entire machine down.

Plus how good are these going to be when you are on a plane and can't do anything on it because you don't have internet access.

Old December 9, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

I must second this post.

I am also still having trouble with the concept of this in a real world situation where real internet connections are shitty and unreliable.(also expensive for cellular access)
Being able to actually use the computer offline is still important.

*Edit
WTF
Cr48 - Pilot-Program - Chrome OS
Quote:
What did we leave out? Spinning disks, caps-lock key, function keys, and lap burns.
SOME DATA NEEDS TO BE ENTERED IN CAPS DAMMIT. But I guess people doing real work are also using a real computer with a real operating system instead of this BS toy.
And no function keys? Seriously? It looks like they have also removed such useful keys as pgup&down as well as home and end!

You have to be kidding me! Take a hike, google.

Last edited by MacJunky; December 9, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old December 9, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
SOME DATA NEEDS TO BE ENTERED IN CAPS DAMMIT. But I guess people doing real work are also using a real computer with a real operating system instead of this BS toy.
And no function keys? Seriously? It looks like they have also removed such useful keys as pgup&down as well as home and end!

You have to be kidding me! Take a hike, google.
Oh yea, I had forgotten about that as well. I know I use caps in excel and such quite often. Oh and of course there are the function keys, which makes me think the same as MacJunky, take a hike, google.

Old December 9, 2010, 09:12 PM

I applied. Ya never know. It might just rock your world...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 9, 2010, 10:14 PM
MVP
F@H

What address did you use? They said they can't ship this stuff to Canada on the fine print :-(
Old December 10, 2010, 05:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I thought about applying but then I figured it would be unfair to google because I wouldn't use it as much as they'd like.

Google just can't replace a good windows desktop setup. I need a monitor for IM & communication + music/sound control, a monitor for streamed media/tv/movies and then the main monitor for gaming/focal point. Most importantly, I need the hardware to support all that and a few VMs.

Google says Chrome OS is for people who live the internet, but really it seams they're just after hipster bloggers. The people who actually live the internet need a bit more horsepower to do it.
Old December 10, 2010, 06:14 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, OK. The BIG users, aka corporations, aren't going to switch and that's probably more than 60% of the market.