Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: How likely are you to exchange a Windows laptop for a browser-only Chrome OS one?
very 1 1.96%
fifty-fifty 4 7.84%
unlikely 46 90.20%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't see the benefit to this at all.... what I'm reading is that I'm going to need the app to be installed on my PC anywise, so other than the ability to share information with other connected parties, I don't see where it's worthwhile to the average user.

Honestly... what I see is an attempt to move us to yet another monthly paid subscription to provide a steady stream of income to a business. I'll pass, thank you very much. ;)

Edit: BTW... thanks for the link to the GMail offline mode. I've been planning to look into it for a while, and never quite got around to doing it. ;) Gotta give google credit for trying to use real language... love their "while we're trying to sync up your mail for offline use, if your connection isn't all it's supposed to be, you might want to use our Flaky Connection Mode".... ;)
Your welcome.

In short, the benefit will be that no matter where you are or what computer/tablet/smartphone you are using, you will be able to access everything just as if you were using your primary pc. Your data, programs, etc wont be tied to a single device. And setting up a new computer will require almost zero effort because there will be nothing to install, nothing to tweak, and nothing to maintain.

But thats well into the future. Chrome os is just a baby step in that direction, one that I'm looking forward to using.
Old December 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

my freebsd machine is loling at your windows and chrome os thinger