Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: How likely are you to exchange a Windows laptop for a browser-only Chrome OS one?
very 1 1.96%
fifty-fifty 4 7.84%
unlikely 46 90.20%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 07:10 AM
MVP

Chrome OS isn't for 'us' though. It's for the hundreds of millions of people for whom the internet is Facebook, Twitter and perhaps celebrity gossip sites.
Old December 10, 2010, 08:12 AM
Rookie

-Chrome OS is a linux derivative (free and open source with a jail break option is built in btw).

-two minutes might be an exaggeration. It seems like forever though compared to my ssd based machine. afaik all google os devices will also all be ssd based, as there are very specific standards for boot times.

-the caps lock key (or the key that the caps lock used to be) can be changed back to caps without any trouble.

-as far as corporations go, that is one market Google thinks they have a chance at because cloud based computing would be so much easier to administer, more secure and cost effective. American Airlines, Virgin America, Logitech, Intercontinental Hotels, and one portion of the U.S. Department of Defense are some of the Google os test pilot participants.

The evolution to cloud based computing is coming, although it's going to take years. Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and a bunch of others all have proprietary software engines designed deliver so called rich internet applications (ria) from code run in the cloud: Silverlight, Air, Javafx etc.

The problem is that none of those are universal, open source, or free. Oh, and they're painfully complicated. I believe, but I don't know for sure, that Google's intends Chrome OS to be the rich internet application client side engine that powers the coming era of web apps. And they want it to be completely hidden from the user, not in a sinister way but in a maintenance free way. Seeing how the OS will be free and open, I just don't see how proprietary ria software will be able to compete.

PS I forgot to include this in my first post, great sales vid: YouTube - What is Google Chrome OS?
Old December 10, 2010, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cloud computing is a wonderful idea, but it assumes 24/7 connectivity with no outages.

I'm actually seriously considering changing away from a GMail based email because I realised that I lost access to old mail when my connection is down.... what happens if I need contact info that's been sent to me via email, and my connection is down..... ????

I'm going to double check GMail to see if it can be pop'd, but if it can't I'll be switching over to a POP email fairly soon.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 10, 2010, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I guarantee Google chrome cannot take 60% of the market.
Any IT person knows how slow business is to adapt change, especially their operating systems.

What to most businesses use? Windows XP. How often do they change operating systems? 5-6 years at best.

Microsoft makes "a lot" of their business from site licences from business owners. Yearly inventories are tallied, and businesses pay per computer that uses the global licence. That's huge business.. I don't have fact and figures, but would estimate that past 60% of their business alone.

If you restructured your poll to be 60% of the home market, that DOESN'T include gamers.. you'd have a better shot.
But some people fear change, and don't like adopting new technologies.. factor in all the non-techies who don't give a rats ass about an operating system.. or call 'Internet Explorer' their operating system.. it doesn't seem possible.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:36 PM
MVP
F@H

I don't like the idea of having to rely on a connection 24/7 to use your computer.

I work in remote areas of the country where sometimes you have to drive 1 hour to a town to get in range of a cellphone tower to send an email. Places like that are not conductive to cloud OS.

Not to mention even in Vancouver Shaw craps out routinely.

Seems like we're back to the way things were when everyone was talking about how Network PC's would take over and were all the rage years ago.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, remember how thin clients were the way to go? And then people realized that the whole idea didn't work as well as it should. Sure I know that now more places have connectivity and faster speeds but it is still far from 24/7 or problem free.

Old December 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Cloud computing is a wonderful idea, but it assumes 24/7 connectivity with no outages.

I'm actually seriously considering changing away from a GMail based email because I realised that I lost access to old mail when my connection is down.... what happens if I need contact info that's been sent to me via email, and my connection is down..... ????

I'm going to double check GMail to see if it can be pop'd, but if it can't I'll be switching over to a POP email fairly soon.
IMAP seems like a better option than POP
Getting Gmail anywhere: IMAP versus POP - Official Gmail Blog
Thunderbird 2.0 - Gmail Help
Old December 11, 2010, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Or you could run gmail offline on your computer: Offline - Gmail Help

Real web based computing will have offline abilities. Cloud computing is about having two (or more) logic steams operating simultaneously (1 local 1 remote). It is not about having the browser act as a mere display portal that is entirely useless if your router dies. Html5 has standards for application caches (i.e. for offline use); and afaik all current web app apis do as well. So its not like you will need a 24/7 guaranteed connection to work.

Maybe Iíve been drinking the koolaid, but web based applications are pretty exciting to me. I donít mean the stuff thatís available now. The web now isnít cloud computing, itís more of an interactive information resource. I mean real, powerful applications that will be able to do whatever can be done on a traditional desktop.

I remember when a friend showed me a laptop with Citrix Receiver and how he could load and work MS Office aps from the network as if they were running on his machine. In fact he said they ran better using Citirix. Of course that was a private network, and citrix products arenít going to be internet standard; so thatís not a universal web app. But it did show me that network apps work. The challenge now is to bring that kind of thing to the web and have it accessible to anyone with a modern browser.

The other challenge is to get people to accept having their stuff out there in the ether. Personally, I look forward to it. Just like I love having an ereader instead of books, and a NAS instead piles of cds and dvds.
Old December 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Milch View Post
Or you could run gmail offline on your computer: Offline - Gmail Help

Real web based computing will have offline abilities. Cloud computing is about having two (or more) logic steams operating simultaneously (1 local 1 remote). It is not about having the browser act as a mere display portal that is entirely useless if your router dies. Html5 has standards for application caches (i.e. for offline use); and afaik all current web app apis do as well. So its not like you will need a 24/7 guaranteed connection to work.

Maybe Iíve been drinking the koolaid, but web based applications are pretty exciting to me. I donít mean the stuff thatís available now. The web now isnít cloud computing, itís more of an interactive information resource. I mean real, powerful applications that will be able to do whatever can be done on a traditional desktop.

I remember when a friend showed me a laptop with Citrix Receiver and how he could load and work MS Office aps from the network as if they were running on his machine. In fact he said they ran better using Citirix. Of course that was a private network, and citrix products arenít going to be internet standard; so thatís not a universal web app. But it did show me that network apps work. The challenge now is to bring that kind of thing to the web and have it accessible to anyone with a modern browser.

The other challenge is to get people to accept having their stuff out there in the ether. Personally, I look forward to it. Just like I love having an ereader instead of books, and a NAS instead piles of cds and dvds.
I don't see the benefit to this at all.... what I'm reading is that I'm going to need the app to be installed on my PC anywise, so other than the ability to share information with other connected parties, I don't see where it's worthwhile to the average user.

Honestly... what I see is an attempt to move us to yet another monthly paid subscription to provide a steady stream of income to a business. I'll pass, thank you very much. ;)

Edit: BTW... thanks for the link to the GMail offline mode. I've been planning to look into it for a while, and never quite got around to doing it. ;) Gotta give google credit for trying to use real language... love their "while we're trying to sync up your mail for offline use, if your connection isn't all it's supposed to be, you might want to use our Flaky Connection Mode".... ;)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 11, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

so... chrome os is more based on social os such as non-business smartphone...

and i dont use 90% of my time on internet... now internet is overated... and social networkd sucks...

and i dont see how business can use chroms os for business tasks... unless they can remote thier works from computer at thier home...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.