Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2010, 09:54 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Dedicated HTPC OS

Was just wondering what everyone uses for their dedicated HTPC OS'. I have a few requirements, but am totally flexible otherwise on what to use.

Requirements:
- Must be able to use the XP Media Center Remote/IR combo (already have)
- Connection to Windows shared drives for streaming of all media.
- Must utilize hardware acceleration from an AMD chipset (4200) for High Def. (The CPU many not be able to handle this alone - going passive low-power CPU)

Ideas thus far:
1- Windows 7 - boot directly to Media Center. Might be the simplest option, as I know all the hardware and remote will work without a hitch. It is, however, the slowest IMO so im uncertain.
2- Windows 7 - XBMC. Not sure about remote compatibility with XBMC, but it seems promising. Fast as well.
3- XBMC (Installed on a usb key/SD card) Standalone XBMC seems the lightest and possibly the fastest way to go, but I have no idea if XBMC will properly recognize and use the power the AMD integrated GPU to handle the high def stuff.
4- MythBuntu - Haven't seen it used in a while, but apparently its still out there and popular.
5- ???

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm kinda liking option #3 the best, as it saves me a hard drive, but I'd also like to know your opinions and suggestions. Thanks all!
Old December 4, 2010, 09:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I use Windows 7 - XBMC. The remote i use is my Samsung Galaxy S as all android phones have a free xbmc app that turns them into remotes for xbmc if you are on the same network.

My htpc/server uses the hd4200 for decoding and has no issues under windows 7 running XBMC doing even 1080p playback at all.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I use Windows 7 - XBMC. The remote i use is my Samsung Galaxy S as all android phones have a free xbmc app that turns them into remotes for xbmc if you are on the same network.

My htpc/server uses the hd4200 for decoding and has no issues under windows 7 running XBMC doing even 1080p playback at all.
Thanks for the feedback! Windows 7 w/ XBMC seems to be the new "best bet" because of this little tidbit I found when rummaging through the XMBC wiki page:
"Note however that the primary dependency is the CPU, because XBMC uses software decoding for all video streams."
AND
"ATI/AMD Avivo Technology uses pixel shaders to assist in decoding the video. So far only ATI/AMD closed source binary device driver for Microsoft Windows support this Avivo Technology."

So XBMC Live is out (damn, need to buy another hard drive now). What about MythUbuntu? MythTV for windows? Media Center?
Old December 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I run Windows 7 too, though I use MediaPortal over XBMC.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you end up using windows, you might want to check out EventGhost. You can use it to associate any device that outputs IR signals to a windows command. That way you can map any remote as well as many other devices.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using Windows7 with Media Center and the mymovies.dk plugin. It works pretty damn good, but I can't compare it to XBMC as I haven't bothered to try it out yet.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'm using Windows7 with Media Center and the mymovies.dk plugin. It works pretty damn good, but I can't compare it to XBMC as I haven't bothered to try it out yet.
Same 7 with Media center and plug ins, I am going to have to try out XBMC but haven't ever got around to it yet.

I think I might just make it my "Sunday" project and see what all the fuss is over. What plug ins would I want to be installing for XBMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I run Windows 7 too, though I use MediaPortal over XBMC.

That is what I am using as well. I took an early look at XBMC but liked the look of MediaPortal better. I use it with the my movies and my tv series plugins. This works good for my 450ish movies and 3500 or so tv episodes.

Old December 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
That is what I am using as well. I took an early look at XBMC but liked the look of MediaPortal better. I use it with the my movies and my tv series plugins. This works good for my 450ish movies and 3500 or so tv episodes.
Yeah I run the StreamedMP skin which includes all the major plugins. Back when I tried XBMC I found it's settings weren't advanced enough for my liking. Probably far different today than it was when I tried it though.
Old December 4, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah I run the StreamedMP skin which includes all the major plugins. Back when I tried XBMC I found it's settings weren't advanced enough for my liking. Probably far different today than it was when I tried it though.
I use MP/SteamedMP as well, love it.

As for the OP, Windows 7 + Mediaportal.