Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2010, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Windows 7 - Relocating "Libraries" from SSD to Secondary HDD

I was wondering if it was possible to relocate the "libraries" group folder containing all my media to my second hard drive. I currently use and SSD as a boot drive and I want to reduce any unnecessary access and have it dedicated as a OS/Program drive.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:00 PM

My System Specs

Move your user files and folders to another partition | Windows Vista, XP and Windows 7 Tutorials
Old December 3, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I did was just make shortcuts from my second drive to which ever library the folder is associated with. I have all of my downl0oaded TV episodes in a TV ep folder which is inside my Video folder on my second drive then I just used a shortcut from that into my Video library on my SSD drive which has main OS on it.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can add any folder you want from any drive you want, including networked drives, into your libraries. All you have to do then is set whatever one you want as default.

I know that is what I do. To do this just open up a library and look right under the name of it (Documents library for example) and you will see a link to the locations. Just click on that and then point it to some folders you have made on your other drive. Once you have that done then just right click on the new location and set it as default.

Now that said I have found out that even when you do that you will still get some stuff saved in the original place. It seems as if some programs, including windows do not care what you want for a location. But really that is basically only appdata and some things like that. Anything you save to docs/music/videos/etc. would go to the new location that you have specified.