Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

Default partition issue: how to approach this?

I have XP Pro on one partition. At some point, I created another partition and it's NTFS. I guess I had it for programs/apps to keep C separate or something.

Both partitions are NTFS and about 25GB each, give or take. They're both around full now. I thought I would increase the size but not sure what to do. It's not good that 'C' is full... The other one is 'D'. So, what are my options?

Re-install? Re-size so that 'D' is larger?

I think there's data on the 'D' partition (my computer was being used by others) so if i copied/moved it to another drive, that might free up some space but I thought I should re-size both partitions or something.

What are the options for Windows users in this situation? i have a 320GB HDD and the rest of the drive has Linux on it but I'll be re-installing or re-configuring the Linux side of it but I can use another portion of the drive for Windows. I just don't know what the best approach is for dealing with the Windows partitions that are practically full.
Old November 29, 2010, 11:01 PM
Banned
F@H

back it up and try partition magic or such..or, do it like a man and still save the data, wipe it properly, then make a partition big enough for windows and the rest storage. heck leave a smallish partition for another os in case first fails. still, with live cds you shouldnt worry much, unless you need it to go with your programs vs going on the net,transferring files and so on with the live option

i always dual or tripple boot for a reason, ready to go no matter what. ok unless the virus wipes the drive and other partitions or drive goes. use hdtune to wipe in windows without rebooting or leaving some portion unwiped by eraser in windows.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
back it up and try partition magic or such..or, do it like a man and still save the data, wipe it properly, then make a partition big enough for windows and the rest storage. heck leave a smallish partition for another os in case first fails. still, with live cds you shouldnt worry much, unless you need it to go with your programs vs going on the net,transferring files and so on with the live option

i always dual or tripple boot for a reason, ready to go no matter what. ok unless the virus wipes the drive and other partitions or drive goes. use hdtune to wipe in windows without rebooting or leaving some portion unwiped by eraser in windows.
Yeah, I'll save the data but trouble is, I don't have a separate drive yet for it! That's why I was looking at the deals for the 2TB drives out there.

But, say I can find a drive or buy one... you are saying to re-install? There's no good way to resize my Windows partitions?
Old November 30, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Yeah, I'll save the data but trouble is, I don't have a separate drive yet for it! That's why I was looking at the deals for the 2TB drives out there.

But, say I can find a drive or buy one... you are saying to re-install? There's no good way to resize my Windows partitions?
Buy the bigger drive. and ghost your OS across to it.

No reinstall and everything will be exactly the same.

Then unplug the smaller drive and plug in the larger as your main drive and voila.. bootable ghosted larger drive.

Then set the 2nd drive up as a secondary drive, wipe, clean, and use for data.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Although old, Acronis Disk Director is able to successfully resize partitions without any data loss. I've done it many times. However that's not to say that you shouldn't backup your data just in case.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD is a live bootable linux cd that does the stuff partition magic does but it's legally FREE. It's also very simple to use.This is based on my assumption that you don't have any software around or you wouldn't be asking.

Old November 30, 2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Buy the bigger drive. and ghost your OS across to it.

No reinstall and everything will be exactly the same.

Then unplug the smaller drive and plug in the larger as your main drive and voila.. bootable ghosted larger drive.

Then set the 2nd drive up as a secondary drive, wipe, clean, and use for data.
But, I don't have any Acronis products so no Acronis True Image or Ghost program.

I'm not worried about having a Partition program. I can use Linux tools for that and I am confident that they're reliable. Right, I need to backup my data, though.

I was just wondering if I'm in a jam because my C partition is full and so is the 'D' partition. I could increase the D partition and then would be able to have the C partition resize? Somehow, I don't think I can do that.

I haven't had to resize NTFS partitions for ages so I'm rusty with respect to options. I have a 500GB HDD with info on it and I'm not able to boot it yet. It has an edition of Windows on it but I was going to connect it so I can boot. Then, I'll see what/if there is anything I want to salvage/save. I even had the idea of booting two hard drives although not sure if that's a pain. I thought if I have two hard drives, one is WINDOWS only and one is LINUX, then things might be easier and I'd have tons of disk space for each.

Drive 1 is 320GB
Drive 2 is 500GB

The second drive is an older drive, though, *Samsung*. But, to have XP Pro on it which is an older, outdated OS, I think it's okay. Is this a good idea? Never used this configuration before but it seems like it might be a logical solution?

I was going to get a 2TB HDD though, eventually, so I'd always have HDD space for data and format it NTFS. I have other people with Windows who have smaller drives so I'd store their data on the 2TB so no one runs out of space.

Comments? I am ashamed/embarrassed of my lack of knowledge here...

This is standard stuff, right? Well, since I am going back and forth between Windows and Linux, I'm the jack of all trades, expert at none! :D

I also would like to move to W7 but a spare $100 I don't have yet... XP will do for now, though. I need to deal with the annoying predictament of low/no disk space for Windows on the one drive first.

Edit: misterd, yeah, I know all about gparted. The thing is, I am not sure any partition manager will solve the problem of C being full... I guess only one way to find out... to see what happens when I try to resize... I suppose I could merge the two and then make the entire partition larger?

What does Windows do again when you resize the partition? "It wants" to do a file check or defrag or something? So long since I've done this.

Edit #2: Okay, I was thinking along these lines... read the following:
"4. Right-click the C: partition, in the shortcut menu the "Extend Volume" is grayed out as follow shown. The main reason is that there is no unallocated space next to the C: partition, so you have to use other software like Partition Assistant to move the D: partition to the end of the disk and extend the C: partition."

Resize NTFS Partition With Three Ways without Losing Data.

I still am interested in using a two-drive system, though. I like that idea unless it's too much of a hassle. I know the complications will be grub-based, though, so not really asking about that. I'm mostly asking if any of you try two drives as maybe you use XP on one and W7 on the other? Or maybe you multi-boot like me? :)

Edit #3: I'm pretty sure if I resize the partition this way, I will have to wipe out the partition that has the boot loader in it. If so, how do you repair the Windows boot loader?

Is this way still the best?:
Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands Icrontic Tech

I'll probably need my Windows XP CD?

Last edited by technix; November 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old December 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I'm mostly asking if any of you try two drives as maybe you use XP on one and W7 on the other? Or maybe you multi-boot like me? :)
Have had many multi-boot systems with different OS on different drives -- Win98/W2K, W2K/XP, multiple XP.

For re-sizing partitions, I use Partition Master from Easeus, it's free for home use:

Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

But whatever you use it'll need room to work with.

In your situation, I'd back up everything on the 320GB drive, connect the 500GB drive to the system, move everything in the D: partition to the 500GB drive, then re-size C: to the full 320GB. I've expanded the primary C: partition this way many times with XP/W2K systems.