Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
MVP

Default Home Server Smart add in....

i had been relying on an addin called "disk management". it indicated that all was healthy except that 5 out of 6 disks were in the red for space used. not much of a problem there.

today i heard of a new thing called "Home Server Smart". i installed it and all is apparently not good. in fact looking at the results i would say that unless i am wrong , i will be in the market for 4 or 5 disks in the future.

2 of the disks have no smart errors of any kind.

of the other 5 , all five have "spin retry count" errors
and one of those 5 , the system disk, has as follows
1.)4 bad sectors detected
2.)19 pending bad sectors detected
3.)19 uncorrectable sectors detected
4.) spin retrys detected

2 of the drives are wd1001fals. 1 is in perfect smart shape, the other has 1 pending bad sector.

none of the drives are predicted to fail. there is no indication as to when these errors occurred.

how can these 2 programs be so different?

btw: i have heard that spin up retrys can be related to power supply issues. i am leaning towards this as i find it hard to beliee that even i can crap out 5 disks at once. my supply is a pc power and cooling 500 watt. i will be getting rid of the 8800gt i had installed for something less power hungry.

thx for any advice or help or valium.

cheers

rob123

forgot to add: 1 of the 2 drives that is smart perfect is a 1tb green eads from wd. thinking of adding a 1.5tb EARS as soon as i can find a jumper.
Old November 29, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Weird, I use disk management to and it worked well for me. 5 failing at the smae time ? I doubt it. Probability is small.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 29, 2010, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

Power saving features of some WD drives is known to cause SMART errors:

The S.M.A.R.T Attribute 193 Load/Unload counter continue to increase for the WD RE2-GP SATA II hard drives

If you're worried, remote desktop into the WHS and run WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, if it fails then you can start a warranty claim.
Old December 4, 2010, 10:05 PM
MVP

i have noticed over the time since i last posted , that the numbers havent changed at all. awhile back i had issues with my "C" drive on the server. it packed it in good. perhaps i got those then. curious thing, the dead one was seagate and the only one with bad sectors is.............a seagate.

hhmmm?

cheers and thx

rob123