Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2010, 07:37 PM
MVP

Default Shrinking windows 7's footprint

So because iv taken the SSD plunge i need to save some space (I have 120gb to work with, and a 1TB on the side), i was wondering how i could shrink down win7 64bit ultimate, any advice appreciated.

Probably only keeping win7, steam and a few key programs on the 120gb RAID.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Last I checked OCZ forums had a really in depth guide for SSD setup which included OS tweaks. Can't seem to find a link atm though.
Old November 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 28, 2010, 07:53 PM

My System Specs

AFAIK I don't think that guide really has what ToXic is looking for. You will need to download vLite as well as WAIK.

It will likely take some trial and error on what you can remove or not. There isn't a whole lot you can get rid of without screwing up the OS. You can get rid of the larger stuff like natural language, speech support, all the language packs. Those three are the largest saver of space.

Even so the Windows directory is still going to be a good 12-14GB after all the updates are done. You can also save quite a bit of space by disabling hibernation, and moving the page file off the drive (although I am personally against this).
Old November 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
Banned
F@H

start with hiberfil.sys . couple gigs there.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:53 PM
MVP

If you have 4gb of ram or more, you really don't need a page file. I always disable it completely. Have never run into issues regarding memory, or lack of.

in a command prompt: powercfg -h off

Turn off Windows features you don't use. Specifically tablet components.

These 3 are enough to bring the entire thing down to 12gb. Still plenty of room left for me on my 50gb'er.

Also, you can relocate things to your 2nd drive. I moved my desktop and documents to be stored on my other drive.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
If you have 4gb of ram or more, you really don't need a page file. I always disable it completely. Have never run into issues regarding memory, or lack of.

in a command prompt: powercfg -h off

Turn off Windows features you don't use. Specifically tablet components.

These 3 are enough to bring the entire thing down to 12gb. Still plenty of room left for me on my 50gb'er.

Also, you can relocate things to your 2nd drive. I moved my desktop and documents to be stored on my other drive.
12gb is good, thats bout 80gb of steam on-top and a few priority programs on the other bit, with room to grow and probably grab 2 more V2Es in a few months...

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old November 29, 2010, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

I've got a 80GB Intel SSD. With W7 Pro 64-bit and most of the usual stuff I use installed there I still have 40GB free. I don't think I'd worry about shrinking the OS's footprint until space becomes a real problem.