Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Hmm I had a similar issue twice (also on Rogers) where all web pages were taking a long time to load. The first time, I solved it by changing the Ethernet cables at the back of my router and modem. The second time, which just happened about a week ago, I fixed by unplugging (the power for) BOTH the modem and router for about 10 seconds, then plugging them both back in. Essentially when this happens the first thing I do is try to reset everything I can about the connection.

If that doesn't work, you can also try changing your DNS servers on the router - I use OpenDNS because I've had laggy / spotty web page lookups with whatever DNS Rogers gives me.

Back in the Windows XP days I'd also do a hosts file reset to solve issues like this, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file) ) but I haven't done that in years.
I did most of the above, nothing... I found the following post on the website today... Seems they updated something with their DNS servers eariler in the week, maybe it's not me. I sent a note to the Admin, hopefully they can help narrow down the problem.

Quote:
We are adding a CDN/proxy service to DX that will require updates to the DNS settings that are beginning to propogate now. To make a long story short, this service is proven to improve load times thru content caching and make security considerably more robust by blocking zombies, botnets, and spammers from gobbling up resources. While the service has a cost, I think it is justified considering that it will, at the very least, add a dense layer of security to DX. It is satisfying to realize how stable we've become compared to the extremely precarious situation we were in when our illustious founder exited. I don't think many realize just how touch-n-go it was there for several days. We came very, very close to losing DX.

There should be no downtime while the changes ease in but the CDN (Content Delivery Network) is not truly global so I will be interested to hear if any DXers in remote locations (especially in the Asian Pacific) experience any hiccups.
Keep the suggestions coming, thanks all!!