Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
reset = push and hold into button at the little hole with your paper clip or something... its easy way to fix but you might have to add or something (such as forward port)
congifure = long way to explore the problem... upgrade, delete, add, etc...
fireware = get the firmware from the offical site... AND read the instruction very very carefully...
first record all info settings of router then reset
Old November 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or a DNS site like https://www.opendns.com/ could be blocking it that is of course if you are signed up to one
Old November 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
reset = push and hold into button at the little hole with your paper clip or something... its easy way to fix but you might have to add or something (such as forward port)
congifure = long way to explore the problem... upgrade, delete, add, etc...
fireware = get the firmware from the offical site... AND read the instruction very very carefully...

Did the reset = Nothing
Configure = Above my knowledge base
Fireware = Updated. Did nothing.
Old November 24, 2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
F@H

any chance you could load a live cd ubuntu or whichever you prefer and try from the computer that is affected? :) that will clear out the software issue. which it probably is.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
any chance you could load a live cd ubuntu or whichever you prefer and try from the computer that is affected? :) that will clear out the software issue. which it probably is.

What do mean by live?
Old November 25, 2010, 01:28 AM
Top Prospect

Linux live cd loads a temporary OS to ram, it doesn't copy anything to the hard drive.
It won't change anything to your system.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:50 AM
Banned
F@H

yup. just in case unplug all hdds, if you have doubts.

also its good to have in case your hdd dies, or your os becomes corrupt and you need to check email etc within the next 5 mins.
Old November 25, 2010, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks.
Old November 25, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guys, it's obviously not anything on his computer if it works fine with the modem directly connected to the computer....
Old November 25, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm I had a similar issue twice (also on Rogers) where all web pages were taking a long time to load. The first time, I solved it by changing the Ethernet cables at the back of my router and modem. The second time, which just happened about a week ago, I fixed by unplugging (the power for) BOTH the modem and router for about 10 seconds, then plugging them both back in. Essentially when this happens the first thing I do is try to reset everything I can about the connection.

If that doesn't work, you can also try changing your DNS servers on the router - I use OpenDNS because I've had laggy / spotty web page lookups with whatever DNS Rogers gives me.

Back in the Windows XP days I'd also do a hosts file reset to solve issues like this, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file) ) but I haven't done that in years.