Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2007, 08:52 AM
Top Prospect

Default Dump my Vista for XP??

Just bought a nice new laptop but it came pre loaded with Vista Ultimate. My home PC is XP. I do like certain aspects of Vista but within the first 24 hours of trying to use Vista I'm running into problems and compatibility issues. I'm very tempted to get rid of Vista and install XP.

I'm a little concerned with this though as the laptop did not come with any disks for drivers or a copy of Vista. So if I go this route I'm worried about not being able to find the right drivers to get the laptop functional again, primarily any of the wireless and network drivers.

So any thoughts on this? Should I bother doing it or stick it out with Vista?
Old December 27, 2007, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

Its really up to you and the software/hardware you uses. It would help to see if it could install XP on your computer since most OEM don't post drivers for your hardware if its not the OS that came with the computer/notebook
Old December 27, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For a laptop that I wasn't gaming on, I might still prefer XP, although on my desktop, I will never go back. For the laptop, it would also depend on whether I could install XP for free- If I had to pay 120 bucks for XP, I'd just stick with vista- you got 2GB RAM?
Old December 27, 2007, 09:41 AM
Top Prospect

That was what I was affraid of that I won't be able to get a hold of the proper drivers if I go the XP route. I don't want to create more problems for myself.

Yes the laptop has 2GB of ram and I have a copy of XP but it's installed on my PC right now and I don't know if I can install it on both machines at the same time?
Old December 27, 2007, 10:29 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You need 2 activation keys, one for the lappy and one for the desktop. Stick with Vista, I'll grow on you. I will never go back to XP.
Old December 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

In your case I'd probably just stick with Vista unless you are totally fed up with it or want to game on your lappy. But as far as finding the right drivers etc... shouldn't be too hard? I've installed non-OEM OS's on laptops and never had any issues. Just make sure to download everything you need before you do the install ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Here's an idea; Visit PCPitstop.com or Driveragent .com to see how your lappie runs. These sites will tell you what hardware components are running in your laptop and you could go around the net to find the appropriate drivers for XP. You could then install XP on your laptop( 3.0charlie is right: with a new key!) and use the drivers you found! It shouldn't be too much of a task.

Ps. It looks like I'm very slow today! Everybody answers before me! (I just woke up)
Old December 27, 2007, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't feel like shelling out cash for another xp # so I will give Vista a chance for now. I guess I need to learn me some Vista tech now :help:
Old December 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

personally I don't really care for Vista ( only the eye candy)and personally I don't think that Vista should be on a Laptop I also think it Very laughable that people use Vista just so they can use Directx10. anyway I would just use the xp disk that you have for your desk top and just download the drivers you need it isn't piracy or anything like that ( if you do use the xp from your desktop) because you alreay own the disk there are a few places you can get drivers and updates without going through Microsoft so I wouldn't worry about that . I always use different places to get my updates because I don't use IE explorer or the Microsoft website because of the fact that they are snooping about on my comp which I don't care for. anyway if you have the time you can just take the desktop xp and make an unattended version of XP for your laptop so that it will automatically it will install the proper drivers and any supported software you you want. if your interested in doing so just go to this site to learn it. believe me its worth the time and effort to learn to do this because it will cut down on reinstall times by at least 70% 9 I must appologize for getting off subject I still need my morning pot of coffee :) ).
Old December 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

If anyone absolutely needs to have the Vista Interface, try installing the "Vista Transformation Pack". I installed it on one of my xp machines, it's damn near identical to vista; including the transparent menu's etc.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music