Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2010, 01:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Video editor

Hey HWC community, I need a video editor! I have been using Sony Vegas 9, but its such a hassle opening media files and rendering. It takes like 10 minutes to import a video (might be due to the fact its the uncompressed fraps videos) and like an hour to render a 8 minute video. I don't really know if that is normal, but it really wastes my time if i have to redo the render because of those dumb black rectangle boxes (i think its called letter box?). I don't need anything fancy, i just need something that will let me add titles, credits, add audio, split videos, and publish the video in a high quality format that youtube will accept. Thanks!
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old November 7, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

for video editors. it may not be the software as it depends on the resolution and the power of the computer you are editing on. but others that i like are magix movie studio pro or premiere elements.

Old November 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you want free the is always windows live movie maker. It does every thing i ask of it (although i have and difficulties with fraps files ans this program before they can be fixed by handbreaking the files before editing)
Old November 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

I really like Sony Vegas for most moderate-advanced editing. It can be somewhat slow, but it's also partially due to the video you are trying to import and edit as well.

SV is actually my go-to recommendation for most users wanting to do any sort of video work. Going "up" from there is either looking in Adobe Premiere, Apple's Final Cut Pro (Mac Only) or an Avid solution.
Old November 8, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My biggest issue with sony vegas was finding what format(usable by other apps as well) it would let me export 1680x1050 content in. Spent a good 45 mins trying to find some combination that would actually work... and then the next time I go and use it I have forgotten what worked and I have to mess around again! >_<

If you want to do 720/1080 though, there are a number of presets and stuff and there will be few hassles.
Old November 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Funny thing is that i always export at 1280x720 resolution, but when i upload it to youtube i get those black rectangles. I read somewhere that youtube changed their HD resolution to work with the apple tv, I'll try to find the link
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old November 8, 2010, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
Funny thing is that i always export at 1280x720 resolution, but when i upload it to youtube i get those black rectangles. I read somewhere that youtube changed their HD resolution to work with the apple tv, I'll try to find the link
You need to change the ratio. Vegas is a perfectly fine program for what your doing you just gotta learn the correct settings and everything for youtube.

Chances are your setting it at the wrong ratio, at least that's what I did wrong the first time too. For example, when I render 1080p videos and upload them to youtube, by default settings Vegas would set the ratio to 1.333 which would create a terrible letterbox. You gotta manually set the ratio to 1.00. I'm not sure what it is for 720p but it should be 1.00 aswell.