Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2010, 08:02 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Win7 power issues + older notebooks

This is probably a situation most likely to happen in enterprise where we work with older stuff, but i'dd like to know if someone got similar issues (and a fix??)

-On a HP 6735b laptop (not quite old..) First install, laptop won't boot without the AC plugged in. Second install, USB ports won't work without AC plugged in. (Most wtf thing i've seen in a while...)

-HP NC6400, won't boot without AC plugged in.

-HP 6715b, screen goes blank if you close a user's session without AC plugged in.

-HP63xx (don't remember) On startup, once where we should have the user selection screen, the screens turns off without the AC plugged in.

If you reinstall one of these laptop, the issue may differ but there will most likely have one.

Did anyone got similar issues? Maybe it's related to hp laptops.. but I doubt it is..
Old November 1, 2010, 08:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The issues with WIn 7 and "older" laptops is well known but very rarely reported.

My problem started with a not-so-old Dell Vostro 1320 which I bought about 16 months ago. It came with XP and I installed Windows 7 onto it about 4 months ago.

Battery life was ~ 5 hours prior to installing Win 7.

After installing it, I got a "consider replacing your battery" error. Battery life went down to 25 minutes.

Now, 4 months later the battery life is about 5 minutes.

There is a 10 Part, 1000+ post long thread on TechNet about it and still no solution.

My solution was to buy a new laptop rather than downgrade to XP. Unfortunately, that seems to have played right into MS's hands....
Old November 1, 2010, 10:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I was aware of the battery life issue but not this kind of issues... The battery life on a NX6325 was also stuck at 0% -.- this is some serious shit. Gave on installing Win7 on these laptops..
Old November 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

We bought an HP once... once. We'll never be that desperate to have one in hand that day again.
Old November 1, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I kinda wonder about things like this..

I have an HP Pavilion DV4 1xxx series that I am just starting into the second year of using. Shortly after I got it I was told by a couple people that the case would fall apart within a year; the case is still fine thanks.
It came with vista and I loaded Win7 onto it as soon as I got it. People are talking about win7 killing batts? Mine is still ok; I thought it was toast a couple months ago but I had just forgotten to fully discharge it for a while. >_> I mean, I never got much more than 4 hours out of my extended batt, but my machine was a refurb(but did not look it) and has an AMD CPU in it.. Soo, yea, notebook + AMD = suck.

I kinda suspect the web camera or it's cable or drivers is/are wonky but I never use it enough to notice many issues or troubleshoot. I think only two of the times when I wanted to use it the damn thing remained off and I had to reboot to make it work.. but that is just two out of an unknown number of successful uses.

Aside from that I do not recall having issues with it. Power adaptor related or otherwise.