Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default HELP! Recover Pictures Please...

I made a huge booboo and didn't backup a persons documents (mostly pictures that are the most important) on their machine (friend of family) I don't know what I was thinking as I'm much smarter then this.

Anyway they had a FAT32 Windows XP Install previously I do believe (maybe NTFS not sure).

Anyway I installed Windows 7 on their machine and figured I could recover it after (since it was virused to hell and I didn't want to hook it to my machine to backup).

Anyway now I've tried a few different programs (including recuva) and am having no luck locating their pictures on this drive. Any ideas folks it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I won't be making this mistake again (already went out and got a slow p4 machine for work purposes of backing up other peoples stuff and just reloading this crap machine if need be).

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old October 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
I made a huge booboo and didn't backup a persons documents (mostly pictures that are the most important) on their machine (friend of family) I don't know what I was thinking as I'm much smarter then this.

Anyway they had a FAT32 Windows XP Install previously I do believe (maybe NTFS not sure).

Anyway I installed Windows 7 on their machine and figured I could recover it after (since it was virused to hell and I didn't want to hook it to my machine to backup).

Anyway now I've tried a few different programs (including recuva) and am having no luck locating their pictures on this drive. Any ideas folks it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I won't be making this mistake again (already went out and got a slow p4 machine for work purposes of backing up other peoples stuff and just reloading this crap machine if need be).
Did you install Windows 7 straight to the old drive or on a separate partition or drive? If you installed to the same drive you may be SOL as you might have overwritten the documents folder. I would yank the drive, put it in another machine to prevent any further overwriting and search for the files using UndeletePlus. It's free (demo version) and can be had here:

Thank you for downloading UndeletePlus from Download.com

It works great on formatted drives, don't think it will work though if you deleted the original drives partition(s) prior to the win 7 install.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty sure I did a complete fresh install one OS over the other :( No partitions as I said my bad but hoping there is something out there that can atleast get me the pictures back!

-- I will try that undelete plus though and see what happens anyone else have any input?

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old October 27, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you delete something from a drive as long as you don't write anything to the drive you can generally recover stuff.

But since you pretty much did a nuke and pave I'm gonna say your SOL.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:11 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

If they were in the My Documents directory

C:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings\username\
Old October 28, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have had decent success with using GetDataBack. I know that with a bit of time it has gotten data back from a drive that would not show any partitions at all. There are 2 versions, one for NTFS and one for FAT.

One thing is do not boot to that drive, use it as a secondary drive in another system. The less it is getting accessed by anything other than that program the better. I do know that one of the opinions in the initial wizard is where it asks what happened to the data. One choice is that it got formatted and another OS written to it. Just be prepared to let it run for awhile if the drive is of any significant size.

Last edited by ipaine; October 28, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Windows 7 backup the old windows in C:/OLD (or something like that), when you install on a old partition with a OS already on it.
At least is does for windows 7 to windows 7, I don't know if it do it for windows xp too.
Old December 17, 2013, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post

NEXT time you run in to virus loaded drive and want files remove, place the drive in your P4 machine that's running Anti-Virus or windows Essentials, all software up to date on P4

then scan the drive then back-up files to usb stick , then place drive back in system and install OS then use USB to place files in folder or give USB stick to them for they are really cheap now 8Gb $9

pretty much the you nuked the drive for w7 formatted drive unless you saved old C: an partitioned drive
Old December 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

BEFORE you do ANYTHING more with the drive, do a full sector-by-sector clone to another disk. Work on that disk/image, leave the old drive untouched and unplugged in case you need data recovery experts to perform work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I have had decent success with using GetDataBack. I know that with a bit of time it has gotten data back from a drive that would not show any partitions at all. There are 2 versions, one for NTFS and one for FAT.
Yup, I hear this works as well as R-Studio for recovery - at a third the price. If the stuff is ultra-important, you can send the drive away to be recovered.

These guys are a member at a technician forum I frequent and have reasonable rates for recovery: $300 Data Recovery: Cheap Hard Drive & RAID Data Recovery Los Angeles
Old December 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

fail.com
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 17, 2013 at 06:56 PM.