Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
That one sided advice goes to a customer who knows absolutely nothing about a computer and is just getting feed back from friends.

Windows XP is a lot more friendly and less of a learning curve than Vista OR OS X
I highly disagree ... XP is hardly more user-friendly, it's just that people are more accustomed to it ...

Also, sheeple are hardly the best source for information ... Most people "heard" Vista isn't all that great ... but haven't tried it ... I find a lot of people who "heard" Vista sucks end up liking it or at least find it tolerable ...
Old December 20, 2007, 09:38 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yes XP was rough at the start but it had time to mature... When will Vista have time to do that? It has 3 years not 7.
XP came in in Nov 2001 ... XP had 5.25 years before Vista was released (going on 6 years now) ... Vista will have 3.75 years before the next OS, assuming MS releases Windows 7 in Fall 2010 ...

Again, plenty of time ...
Old December 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Good point enaberif. Vista needed to be strong right out of the gate with the exception of some typical new OS bugs like driver support. It was in development for soooo long and the benefits we should have seen from all that time are just not there.
I agree that Vista should've been better than it is ...
Old December 21, 2007, 04:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I highly disagree ... XP is hardly more user-friendly, it's just that people are more accustomed to it ...
I'll agree with you there, give a new person XP and they will be completely lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac
Also, sheeple are hardly the best source for information ... Most people "heard" Vista isn't all that great ... but haven't tried it ... I find a lot of people who "heard" Vista sucks end up liking it or at least find it tolerable ...
Vista is on my laptop, and while there are some features I enjoy, I still find it to be a cluster of issues.
Old December 21, 2007, 06:21 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

I disagree with this statement, xp caught on due it to being user friendly, it took people less time to learn this than an other os to date. It is easy also for iT to manipulate and configure the settings, and uses less space and memory. These sheeple as you refer to them being like me, have a little over 29 years in personal computers. I talked with many other sheeple :rtfm: about it and we disssected it with great interest. I still have no use for it and possibly never will... but keep it under dual boot just to abuse the hell out of it, my short hate list

1) heavy memory bandwidth usage
2) permissions permissions... and if I rip a cd of my own,.. hehe good luck..
3)driver support.. growing but still a pain in the a...
4) reinstalling the os on a new hard drive.... try it sometime....
5)drm./.. nuff said
6)aero...
7) its another mac wanna be
8)secure desktop...

but anyway .. vista is being pushed by ms and vendors of PC's... yes the list is actually longer..
Btw jmac.. my gf spent 2 hrs on xp and learned it.. she still swears and gets po'ed with vista.. I had to remove it and reinstall her xp.. or else live on the couch.

I give a side by side comparison to people I design computers for to be fair, most new purchasers prefer the simplicity of xp.. so i give it to them. with home basic coupon for a free upgrade to that if they decide to choose it

Old January 1, 2008, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well my first post on this forum here.... I love the XP review very much and laughed pretty good. There are so many things to consider and point out in all the viewpoints everyone has made. It all boils down to what you like or need. Some like Mac, some MS and what not. But when it comes to XP and Vista for now I like XP because there simply is not a good enough excuse to downgrade to Vista. I tried Vista and liked the eye candy to a certain degree but I did not like the lag but then again XP was the same when it first came out. People had to upgrade parts to run XP better. Now that most people have done that of course XP runs so much better and faster. Vista is now demanding the same thing. To upgrade our parts to the newer stuff while at the same time it matures into an OS. Later down the road when SP2 for Vista comes out people will start to dump XP because by then they would have upgraded. I say upgrade for the future but as of right now it is a downgrade until my next upgrade in parts and MS's bug fixes for the new parts that Vista is demanding from us. My next rig will be with DDR3. Already bought my Crucial Ballistix 1600 for my Maximus Extreme. In the near future Vista will run like my XP does now on my current rig and then I will get to bitch about the next OS and how it makes my rig lag and how it takes twice as long to boot or to perform a function...not to mention those damn driver bugs huh!

I cannot seriously compare Vista to the patchwork ME was. Seriously I cannot....ME ran pretty good!
 Q9650 @ 4.05 Ghz (9x450) / 4 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix @ 1800 Mhz / 3870X2 / Ultra X3 1000/Maximus Extreme X38 / Thermaltake Xaser VI custom watercooled with black powdercoat. Click above for pic!
San Ace Awesomeness!
San Ace Awesomeness Part II!
Old January 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My main complaint about VISTA is that it doesn't offer me anything over what I can get from XP, yet is chock full of stuff I definately don't want (Third party controllable DRM is #1 on the list).

I realise that many of the teething pains for Vista are no different from what we went through with XP when it was originally release... but give me a break... VISTA was how long in Stable Beta testing??? (At least a year if not more).

Tell Sony to stick their DRM where the sun doesn't shine, fix the permissions issues, get rid of DRM related constraints on third party software drivers and then come talk to me...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 2, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For a little context, I did a little digging for old windows xp discussion threads from when it originally came out- people were alot happier with it I think:

"I've been quite happy with Windows XP, happier than I've ever been with any other version of Windows. Win 2000 is good, but a lot of my games had either minor issues or simply would not install. Windows XP has yet to disappoint me. "

"yep xp rules..At first i had some problems with cs. But now all is solved..I will never go back.
U have to expect a few problems when you go from old technology to new!"