Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Batch files.

I dunno if this is the best section for this, buuuut whatever.

It's been years since I touched a batch file. Anyone interested in helping me write one?

I want to empty out a folder every time I reboot. I've got a folder on a disk where chrome saves anything I specifically download (Not cache, cookies etc)

I want it to clear automatically for me. I can handle the syntax regarding folder/drive locations I just don't know what commands to use...

duuuur

Thanks!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 03:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Oh man its been a while... but i might be able to get you going in the right direction, as I think it's fairly simple...

cd c:\<insert your path to folder with the files to be deleted>
del *.*

write that in notepad or similar, save as .bat and put in your startup folder. Done?
Old October 7, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Oh man its been a while... but i might be able to get you going in the right direction, as I think it's fairly simple...

cd c:\<insert your path to folder with the files to be deleted>
del *.*

write that in notepad or similar, save as .bat and put in your startup folder. Done?
God, wait.. it's that easy?

Haha those commands are so old school.. I really didn't think it'd be that simple..

Thanks!

If anyone else knows different; let me know!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 04:08 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
God, wait.. it's that easy?

Haha those commands are so old school.. I really didn't think it'd be that simple..

Thanks!

If anyone else knows different; let me know!
No prob dude. you can always just try out the commands to a batch file one at a time by typing them in an ms-dos command windows too btw...
Old October 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The "are you sure" prompt comes up when I run it manually.. will that get in the way?

EDIT: Oddly enough, running it manually does NOT work. I put files in the folder and I can't delete them. I receive no errors or messages in cmd. It just goes through with it but the files are still there.

I know those commands work, I've used em billion times lol
Old October 7, 2010, 04:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can you delete the contents of the folder from within windows?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Can you delete the contents of the folder from within windows?
Yep!

I even ran cmd in admin mode.

It didn't do anything to the files in the folder lol.
Old October 7, 2010, 04:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... gotta be an authority thing... I'm not currently on a win7 machine.... does the /? switch for del at the command line offer a switch for "do it no matter what!!!" ?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
MVP

Try: "del /q /f /s c:\path\to\your\dir\."

(excluding the quotes of course)
Old October 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

under XP it's /f (force deletion of read only) /s (subdirectories) /q (quiet no prompt)......

Be very careful of how you write it if you include the /q though.... Not sure about win7, but XP defaults to the documents and settings\username so if the CD doesn't work that plus all of the subdirectories is what will be deleted without a prompt..... (I'd test it out without the /Q first..... ;)