Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2010, 03:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
as dcc said, the folder either has a space in it or you entered the path incorrectly.

revised: del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."
I did just that line above in the document and all it does is load the text document on boot. I figured it may, since the file is labelled .txt and I'm not sure how to change it in Win 7 anymore. Been a long time since I messed with extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
step by step from admin shell:

copy con: delfiles.cmd <enter>
del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."
<press F6><enter>

I even tested it.

I don't have an xp system in front of me, but I'm pretty sure I've specified the full path with the del command in batch files since dos 4.01.
So I tried this whole part two and it does the same above; so I'm obviously confused about how to actually run the batch file in the background when I boot.

Thanks for everyones help so far :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
yeah... i'd dump a short-cut to your batch file into the startup folder of your start menu... that'll do it.
Thanks, this did not seem to work however ;/
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

tl;dr (windows stuff...)

Instead of doing this when you halt the OS, why not just execute the script when you bootup? I think you can even copy the batch/bin file in "(drive letter):\Documents and Settings\(your profile)\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" in Windows and it will execute it every time you bootup (or login I can't remember)... something like that. I can't remember exactly (and I won't google for you) but I think it's a way of doing it.

If it was not on windows I would have gladly helped you more though

Last edited by m1dget; October 8, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's exactly what I'm trying to do; have it run on boot up.

But instead of running the batch it just loads a txt file :P

I'm looking at the task scheduler now to see if I can do it that way.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Go to Control Panel and select Folder Options and UNCHECK Hide Extentions for Known file types.

Then, just change the extension to .bat
Fold for team #54196
Old October 8, 2010, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Go to Control Panel and select Folder Options and UNCHECK Hide Extentions for Known file types.

Then, just change the extension to .bat
THERE we go!

EDIT:

It works!

The only minor issue I have is that I can see, for a split second the batch file pop up, complete operation and close. It's VERY minute and fast, so I don't really care - but if someone knows off hand a way to make it run without me ever seeing it, that would be ideal.. however I am not going to stress.

I am very happy now, my browser downloads folder will empty itself when I boot.. I tend to accumulate a lot of files in that particular folder and they are usually install files etc

Last edited by encorp; October 8, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old October 8, 2010, 06:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... I'm surprised there isn't an option in the browser to do that automatically. ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 8, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... I'm surprised there isn't an option in the browser to do that automatically. ;)
This is different. I've circumvented the browsers settings. I run a WD Black 640gig hdd simply as a scratch disk. My audio and film software use the disk and all my programs refer to it for their cache or disposable files.

It's also a library and not an actual folder, so it encompasses all the programs into one location.

I've got it set now that when I install any software I can just hit "install" and not even worry about the location. Depending on what program it is; with all the junctions and libraries I have going even if I tell it to install to C:\ (My SSD) it will put it to it's specfic drive and set it's cache and scratch locations automatically.

I could do it with chrome but then I'd have to go in manually every time I install a program. This way the system is set up how I like it. then I make an image of it and I have a good base install of Win 7.

So when I need to format - I just run the disk and I lose nothing. All my libraries stay in tact and my data files are there, as well as installed program settings and configurations. :)
Old October 8, 2010, 07:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

you can make the text box flash disappear if you port your command to a VB script file (VBS).
Old October 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
you can make the text box flash disappear if you port your command to a VB script file (VBS).
Okay cool. I will start googling!
Old October 8, 2010, 09:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The only minor issue I have is that I can see, for a split second the batch file pop up, complete operation and close. It's VERY minute and fast, so I don't really care - but if someone knows off hand a way to make it run without me ever seeing it, that would be ideal.. however I am not going to stress.
make a shortcut to the *.bat file - set it to Run: minimized - and place it in the startup folder instead of the actual *.bat file .... may flash on the taskbar though