Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Try: del /q /f /s c:\path\to\your\dir\.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
under XP it's /f (force deletion of read only) /s (subdirectories) /q (quiet no prompt)......

Be very careful of how you write it if you include the /q though.... Not sure about win7, but XP defaults to the documents and settings\username so if the CD doesn't work that plus all of the subdirectories is what will be deleted without a prompt..... (I'd test it out without the /Q first..... ;)
Awesome.. thanks..

I'm testing it all manually so I should be safe.. plus all my default folders in Win 7 are libraries so you can't actually delete them.

Before you mention it though; this folder I'm working with is not a library or junction hahaha

Just a folder I right clicked and made.

EDIT: It appears that the change directory command is not working, I receive no errors but it does not actually change directories.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Not sure about win7, but XP defaults to the documents and settings\username so if the CD doesn't work that plus all of the subdirectories is what will be deleted without a prompt..... (I'd test it out without the /Q first..... ;)
cd is redundant, include the full path in the command.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Try: "del /q /f /s c:\path\to\your\dir\."

(excluding the quotes of course)
This says System cannot find the file specified. I also tried *.* instead of . at the end. No quotes of course.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:15 PM
Top Prospect

If the path contains spaces, e.g., %userprofile%\my music, you have to enclose it in quotes:

del "%userprofile%\my music\*.*" /q /f /s
Old October 7, 2010, 05:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Under XP it's the del command it can't find from the default command path (hence why I used the CD to switch to my test folder when I wrote mine... ;) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2010, 05:30 PM
MVP

as dcc said, the folder either has a space in it or you entered the path incorrectly.

revised: del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."

step by step from admin shell:

copy con: delfiles.cmd <enter>
del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."
<press F6><enter>

I even tested it.

Quote:
Under XP it's the del command it can't find from the default command path (hence why I used the CD to switch to my test folder when I wrote mine... ;) ).
I don't have an xp system in front of me, but I'm pretty sure I've specified the full path with the del command in batch files since dos 4.01.
Old October 7, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
as dcc said, the folder either has a space in it or you entered the path incorrectly.

revised: del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."

step by step from admin shell:

del /q /f /s "c:\path\to\your\download dir\."
<press F6><enter>

I even tested it.

I don't have an xp system in front of me, but I'm pretty sure I've specified the full path with the del command in batch files since dos 4.01.

Ahh Ok! Thanks! It does in fact have a space in it.

I'll try this out!

Edit: del /q /f /s "E:\Chrome\Chrome Downloads\." Works perfectly!

Now I gather I just stick the batch somewhere and have it run on start up, correct?

Last edited by encorp; October 7, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah... i'd dump a short-cut to your batch file into the startup folder of your start menu... that'll do it.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
what is the purpose of this line?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2010, 10:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
what is the purpose of this line?
old school DOS

copies the keystrokes from the console (keyboard) directly into the file-name showed after the COPY CON command.

finish with a <ctrl> <z> and it closes the file.