Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2010, 06:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default 64 bit win 7 and 64 bit Office 2010

It seems if you get Office 2010 it will default to installing the 32 bit version for compatiblity issues. There are directions for installing the 64 bit version online. My question is does it matter? Wouldn't the 64 bit version be faster? How much trouble or compatiblity issues do you have running the 64 bit version? Anyone have experience here with this?
Old October 6, 2010, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't use the 64 bit version of office unless you absolutely need the larger memory address with excel. Even Microsoft will tell you to avoid the 64 bit version.

It is much better to go for the 32bit there are way less issues.

Old October 6, 2010, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

ipaine may be correct in the long run depending on what aspects of office you use however I installed 64 Bit office 2010 on my Laptop and desktop running Windows 7 64 Bit, no problems whatsoever. I also us Internet Explorer 9 Beta and there's a 64 Bit version of Adobe Flash now available, also a beta. I had though some of the concerns with using 64 Bit office 2010 was related to things like Internet Explorer, Flash etc.. in other words some external programs that have a degree of integration with office. I am however not 100% sure of these facts and am still looking into it.

Another Guy From Canada
Old October 6, 2010, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It really is general compatibility with everything else. Here at the office we started to have a few calendar issues and just general stability issues as well. And it is Microsofts recommendation as well.

Old October 6, 2010, 10:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think for home users though, the 64bit version wouldn't have too much of an impact. All seems fine here and I've been using it since the beta.

Granted I'm by no means a heavy office user, just the odd project/report for school here and there. Works fine with SkyDrive/Office Live to edit/upload documents.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
My question is does it matter? Wouldn't the 64 bit version be faster?
Almost nothing 64 bits out there currently is faster than 32 bits stuff.

Unless they did the threading better or optimized the code throughout the program I wouldn't expect much or nothing at all (and even something slower?).
Old October 6, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

the performance would be about equal.

however, I'm pretty sure Word doesn't need 4+ GB ram. or even excel.. unless you have a crazy h00ge sheet.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

we can have a winword.exe drag race!!! your 64 bit versus my 32 bit... heh

I think if you need the added cells with excel 64 bit, you should be looking into a database back-end for your spread sheets or something... it's quite excessive.
Old October 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
we can have a winword.exe drag race!!! your 64 bit versus my 32 bit... heh

I think if you need the added cells with excel 64 bit, you should be looking into a database back-end for your spread sheets or something... it's quite excessive.
So on the right lane you have $banane number of instructions executed in $poulet seconds for 32 bit... and on the left line you have $banane number of instructions executed in $poulet seconds for 64 bit.

booya D: