LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Vista has always supported DX11.

Not always. There was an update for Vista to support DX11 a little while after the release of Win7. However, now that I think about it, I believe that update came out before DX11 GPU's were mainstream. So it's probably irrelevant.
Old October 2, 2010, 07:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Does Vista support DX11? I thought only Windows 7 did. Either way, not like anybody should be running Vista anymore these days. I had the unfortunate task of installing Vista last night (fixing a friends laptop) and it was god awful. I didn't know how badly it lacked drivers. No WiFi, and the LAN driver wouldn't start, and a whole whack of missing stuff.

I don't think drivers update DirectX though. You update by installing the latest Redistributable from the MS site. Typically games install the DirectX redist as well, but usually rather dated versions.
From Windows Update KB971512

Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library

The Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library contains the latest advancements in modern graphics technologies for gaming, multimedia, imaging and printing applications. It includes updates to DirectX to support hardware acceleration for 2D, 3D and text-based scenarios; DirectCompute for hardware accelerated parallel computing scenarios; and XPS Library for document printing scenarios.

People can download the Redistributable but the common folks probably wouldn't know where to find it.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:16 PM
Banned
F@H

i wouldn't use 11 on vista, as it wasn't meant to have it from the get go, if i underrstand things correctly.

its a good idea to keep the offline installation packages on a thumb drive for when you need it. same with .net .
Old October 2, 2010, 10:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i wouldn't use 11 on vista, as it wasn't meant to have it from the get go, if i underrstand things correctly.
You don't understand things correctly. There is no reason not to use DX11 with Vista. Saying that would be like saying you shouldn't use DX9 or wireless networking with Windows XP, since it "wasn't meant to have it from the get go".
Old October 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
Banned
F@H

interesting, so basically the same hardware will run exactly the same in dx11 mode on vista and w7,performance stability and what not wise? :)
Old October 2, 2010, 10:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

What a novel concept that the same piece of software can run on two different versions of Windows without any issues...
Old October 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeh novel idea