Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
No previous experience...but I am in network enginiring...I have no clue why we even learn java...My father have a Major in networking and he don't even know what is java ( by that I mean never learn it, never used it, never saw it in real life ).

java suck:)
What kind of university pushes you into doing some pointless Java course if you are doing a degree in network engineering o.O ?
Old September 29, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
What kind of university pushes you into doing some pointless Java course if you are doing a degree in network engineering o.O ?
Every University in the world
Old September 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Every University in the world
Nice to know that they are becoming more and more retarded as time goes by
Old September 29, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Cegep Limoilou and Laval University?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 05:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Cegep Limoilou and Laval University?
Are you in a Limoilou right now or at Laval university?

That Java course would make sense at a cegep and not university
Old September 30, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Are you in a Limoilou right now or at Laval university?

That Java course would make sense at a cegep and not university

Dec + bac there is java in the DEC and there is java in the BAC...But a friend of mine is at UQAM actually and he is doing java to. We both have no idea why we are doing this...

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

my school does C++ (duh) not Java. Amen.

it's hard to decompile a program once it's compiled.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my university they're giving Java to Computer Engineering / Computer Science / Software Engineering, but they give a C course to all the other engineering. If I didn't start out 1 semester as a mech eng. student, I wouldn't have received the C course that helped me land my co-op, in which I learned some more about C/C++. Thankfully some profs are re-introducing C by forcing it upon computer engineering students at 3rd / 4th year, but it's still not officially part of the curriculum.
I think some council or other set of people who don't know industry trends thought Java was to replace C or something... At least I'm relieved to know my school isn't the only one that thought this way.

@OP - I agree that decompiling that program won't give you much, especially since compilers optimize code that would pretty much make it impossible to understand. Your time is better spent talking to the teacher about the example, provided he / she didn't blindly copy it from someone else.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
In my university they're giving Java to Computer Engineering / Computer Science / Software Engineering, but they give a C course to all the other engineering. If I didn't start out 1 semester as a mech eng. student, I wouldn't have received the C course that helped me land my co-op, in which I learned some more about C/C++. Thankfully some profs are re-introducing C by forcing it upon computer engineering students at 3rd / 4th year, but it's still not officially part of the curriculum.
I think some council or other set of people who don't know industry trends thought Java was to replace C or something... At least I'm relieved to know my school isn't the only one that thought this way.

@OP - I agree that decompiling that program won't give you much, especially since compilers optimize code that would pretty much make it impossible to understand. Your time is better spent talking to the teacher about the example, provided he / she didn't blindly copy it from someone else.

Yeah I know, I have a meeting with my teacher tomorrow. Let's see what's wrong and what I don't understand.

Martin_metal_88

Old September 30, 2010, 10:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post

Well most of the companies went the easy way with Java back a few years ago and now .NET and sadly schools are following that since "everybody" is on those two platforms.

Personally I hate it but meh... people are going to keep learning and thinking that they can actually return a string in any language after.

(/end_extreme_sarcasm();)