LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Default Windows killing XP

No one's talking about this?

Windows XP Users Can't Ride the IE9 Train - PCWorld

Windows XP: Your Last Chance to Get it. Really. - PCWorld

Microsoft's Not-So-Secret Plan to Cripple Windows XP - PCWorld

People can use Firefox or Chrome but knowing Microsoft, they'll recruit companies who will have software or web tools that can only run in IE and probably will have it set to only work in IE9.

Anyway, 'interesting that M$ hasn't changed much.

Looks like I'll be using Linux even more!!!!!
Old September 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting that Microsoft hasn't changed? The OS is how old? There are two newer version out with Win 7 being the best out of the three.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it did. Win7 has been out and stable for quite some time now. Even diehard Vista resistors like myself are now running windows 7 without any issues outside of learning a slightly different way of doing things.

The folks who really "need" to continue running XP (corporate) won't care at all about not being able to run IE9 on their systems... the great majority of them are still stuck on using IE6...... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it did. Win7 has been out and stable for quite some time now. Even diehard Vista resistors like myself are now running windows 7 without any issues outside of learning a slightly different way of doing things.

The folks who really "need" to continue running XP (corporate) won't care at all about not being able to run IE9 on their systems... the great majority of them are still stuck on using IE6...... ;)
I know of several corporate companies whom are making the eventual switch to Win7 from xp, they just need to make sure everything is 110% compatible/working otherwise it'll kill profits in the long run from downed productivity
Old September 28, 2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

That's not the point, though.... oh well, no one will care unless they're a small business or have no money.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Saying Win7 is the best is a load of shit.

I've been using Win7 and it has so many quirks that I just simply do not like.

Will I run XP on this laptop? No.

But I will be throwing Server 2k8 R2 on it the second I do have a chance.

And besides Internet Explorer is crap.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I said it was better then Vista and XP, and what quirks do you find it has?
Old September 28, 2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Saying Win7 is the best is a load of shit.

I've been using Win7 and it has so many quirks that I just simply do not like.

Will I run XP on this laptop? No.

But I will be throwing Server 2k8 R2 on it the second I do have a chance.

And besides Internet Explorer is crap.
Yeah, but no one is getting the point. I'm not even pointing out the merits of either XP or 7. M$ is shutting off support is one thing. But, they're forcing you to have major restrictions to their older OS. No one else is doing that. Google is supporting Chrome no matter your OS. Same with Mozilla and Firefox. Furthermore, M$ is hurting those who can't afford to just switch operating systems because support and tools are suddenly 'shut off.' Anyway, the marketing machine will be in full force and get ready for an onslaught of Windows 7 commercials.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Yeah, but no one is getting the point. I'm not even pointing out the merits of either XP or 7. M$ is shutting off support is one thing. But, they're forcing you to have major restrictions to their older OS. No one else is doing that. Google is supporting Chrome no matter your OS. Same with Mozilla and Firefox. Furthermore, M$ is hurting those who can't afford to just switch operating systems because support and tools are suddenly 'shut off.' Anyway, the marketing machine will be in full force and get ready for an onslaught of Windows 7 commercials.
Suddenly shut off, let me go back to the fact they announced a year or two ago that they will be slowly phasing out support for XP. Its an operating nearly a decade out. You can't really compare support of an OS to support of a Web Browser, a hell of a lot less under the hood. Apple has done the same thing as well. At some point you have to stop supporting older OS for newer ones.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Enaberif is just a neophobic, dont mind him

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Closed Thread