Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Guess you didnt read the post way back in the begging of this thread on WHY it was done. Great job on changing with the times.

So let me get this straight. You think that MS FORCES people to upgrade their OS on their older kit...like nix is doing (go actually read the "support" quote for fedora I posted) . That is patently false. Peeps have been enjoying XP for nearly a decade. As I said earlier... try that with on old ass nix os. Your response is "who is going to use that today"...but you are perfectly fine with slamming MS for giving more support LONGER than your beloved nix.

Then in the next breath you say that even though the life cycle is LONG...BAM one day your old as dirt kit and OS wont work anymore. Nope. Once again peeps have gotten ten years of enjoyment out of MS XP and they have been clear about when support will end. Hell they have extended it once already!

THEN you say the constant change nix does is a GOOD THING and that its built in planned obsolesce is a GOOD thing...even though earlier you said the exact opposite about MS and XP. So which is it? Is it good to have a stable long term OS or a fly by night / here today obsolete tomorrow OS? You cant slam MS for cutting support of a NONessential software for XP when nix doesnt even support ESSENTIAL upgrades after a mere handful of years. You cant have it both ways. You cant slam MS for supporting their kit for merely a decade and then in the next breath say its perfectly fine for nix to cut supprot after three because "its constantly changing".

THEN you have the gall to infer that XP cant only be used once and if you swap out hardware you have to phone up and spend loads of time begging to get access back. Nope. Once again patently false. You've obviously never had to phone them up. Takes a couple minutes tops AND doesnt happen everytime. I've still got a couple systems that have been upgraded three or four times that been reactivated via the internet. Certainly not the HUGE hassle you claim.

You then claim that newer hardware doesnt run OLD software as good as it would on the older hardware. That is just plain foolishness. Newer hardware runs older software like XP BETTER than it does on older systems. An x86 system is an x86 system. The older software may not fully take advantage of all the power of the new system...but it sure as shite does it faster. Ive yet to here anyone running XP go "damn...I wish my old 586 was still running as it was MUCH faster than this here 930 system". Do you realize how absurd your claims are? I mean really take a step back a reread what you have said and how you try and change it to suit your needs. In other words you are talking out of both sides of your mouth just like I said you would at the beginggin of this thread. "it is talks like a duck, and walks like a duck...its a duck". Thank you for proving my point (the only real point I was making in this whole thread actually...well only one of two. with the other being:)

Honestly, while it is entertaining to watch a nix'er do his little anti-MS rant dance the sad truth of the matter is what you are spouting is FUD. Pure and simple. I truly don't care what you use on your system but keep the FUD to the IRC chan or a nix forum. Im sure you will find a more sympathetic bunch of peeps their than here. After all you all drink the same kolaid.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 29, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is a consumer based society here in NA, and most parts of the world. Technix, If you dont like how Microsoft does business, take your money elsewhere or get a comparable service as you see fit with your money. Personally, I fail to see how a company that has managed to dominate the market (when viewed by pure market share %) with a product is 'failing'. But thats just my thought. Maybe you do pay a premium over Linux, but people seem willing to do this for many personal factors including such things as; Ease of Use, support for various things (drivers, hardware, etc), upgrade paths, feature sets, etc, etc, etc.

Now if you dont agree with those individual reasons, thats your choice, but many other feel the services microsoft provides are obviously worth the cash, or they would find other options (or another product would challenge them for market dominance).

This thread is nearly turning in to the degeneracy of the "Apple is Bad/Good" threads of last month. Really kind of sad.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

So, you refuse main points. That's fine. I'll reply once more because it's not worth the time. MS Windows is a commercial release and expected to provide support. In business transactions, business might be able to afford certain expenses but they don't plan on investing in OS or software all the time so MS is providing long-term support. ???? When you compare the market share and how much everyone is invested in the operating system, XP, you figure the support may be long-term but why interrupt or prevent the recent update of the main browser and block use of other software? Other browsers haven't caused this problem. There are not many alternatives for recourse. Use old software, switch browsers or buy a new operating system. That was point #1.

Saying that Linux is doing something inferior or justifying criticism based on the difference in life cycles is absurd. You brought up the example of Fedora which is a community-based project, free, and it allows updates and upgrades for free! Also, someone could use an older or outdated version of Fedora with recent software packages if they so desire. Free! Your excuses and comments are ridiculous but that's no surprise. When you then resort to attacks like saying I'm drinking Kool-Aide just shows you have no leg to stand on.

Sagath, quite true. I guess I should just let AkG and the other anti-Linux/Hail MS users continue on their own.

I apologize if I contributed to the thread derailing. I also acknowledge many here rely on MS products so I'm wary to criticize MS here, btw. I think I'm going to be quiet now.
Old September 29, 2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
So, you refuse main points. That's fine. I'll reply once more because it's not worth the time. MS Windows is a commercial release and expected to provide support. In business transactions, business might be able to afford certain expenses but they don't plan on investing in OS or software all the time so MS is providing long-term support. ???? When you compare the market share and how much everyone is invested in the operating system, XP, you figure the support may be long-term but why interrupt or prevent the recent update of the main browser and block use of other software? Other browsers haven't caused this problem. There are not many alternatives for recourse. Use old software, switch browsers or buy a new operating system. That was point #1.

Saying that Linux is doing something inferior or justifying criticism based on the difference in life cycles is absurd. You brought up the example of Fedora which is a community-based project, free, and it allows updates and upgrades for free! Also, someone could use an older or outdated version of Fedora with recent software packages if they so desire. Free! Your excuses and comments are ridiculous but that's no surprise. When you then resort to attacks like saying I'm drinking Kool-Aide just shows you have no leg to stand on.

Sagath, quite true. I guess I should just let AkG and the other anti-Linux/Hail MS users continue on their own.

I apologize if I contributed to the thread derailing. I also acknowledge many here rely on MS products so I'm wary to criticize MS here, btw. I think I'm going to be quiet now.
Finally he sees the light! This whole thread was an antiMS rant started by you. Or in other words "quack quack...little nix drinking ducky". Hope you and m1dget get together and make the world safer from eviilllllll companies like MS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Finally he sees the light! This whole thread was an antiMS rant started by you. Or in other words "quack quack...little nix drinking ducky". Hope you and m1dget get together and make the world safer from eviilllllll companies like MS.

This is really uncalled for AkG. I'd normally PM something like this, but given the blatant disregard for any kind of civilty between either you, or Technix, I'll just do it publicly.

Grow up.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 29, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Sagath, well, I wasn't being overly obnoxious or sarcastic towards anyone. No personal insults either. I thought I was civil under the circumstances. It seemed AkG was just trying to egg me on and sabotage the thread.

I dual boot Windows and have defended Windows/MS from time to time or usually in a critique of Linux or what Linux could do better by indicating Windows positives/pluses. I haven't done that here but I can assure you, I have before. There are people who jokingly call me a 'Windoze person' or similar. It's funny that I have argued a different perspective in this case but I thought that is indicative that I'm objective. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Old September 29, 2010, 05:16 PM

Will since its going to be public i'll post it publicly here sagath. My reasons are simple. Technix has been spouting FUD and all round thread crapping for the past couple days in numerous threads so I thought it was time to prove my point.

Technix, the fact you dont think you've been obnoxious just proves my point. Even after just ONE comment in one thread you came out and said I was in paid off. Whereas I know I was being obnoxious and doing it on purpose. Every time you FUD crap like this, I will be there to poke you with a sharp pointed stick. Enjoy or dont. I dont really care one way or the other.

Old September 29, 2010, 05:28 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

This thread done like dinner:
Fold for team #54196
Old September 29, 2010, 06:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

tl;dr

Technix do yourself a favor, let people who enjoy MS products buy them and give MS their money every months/year or so.

You realize that there's some good alternatives out there so simply use them... it's pointless to tell anyone about them as most people just know MS products and nothing else or they use something and don't want to get out of their comfort zone by trying out something new.

Get yourself FreeBSD or a Debian based distro and be happy.

I do usually like to get in arguments with random people over MS OS vs *nix based OS but they generally never end and are a headache more than anything as the opposing party always think they are right because "lol I am repairing PCs all the time therefore I know everything".

Beside the fun you will NEVER manage to make those people hear your point.

Heck last week I got in an argument with a guy comparing how 'fast' Windows, Linux and OS X were by showing me a benchmark of data compression and claiming that Windows > Linux > OS X even after I explained to him that first comparing Windows to anything else == bad since it's not the same thing and even comparing Linux with OS X was bad because you are not comparing the same type of kernel and also comparing a multilevel feedback queue scheduler with a completely fair scheduler was wrong by explaining him how both would react to a huge file compression AND that the benchmark was completely biased by the fact that all the machines didn't have the same number of processes running and were not in a 'controled' environment... but even after explaining him in -details- everything and also showed him proofs with algorithms and some data structures for 30 minutes he still claimed that he was right and blablabla ^ 16

Though I can't say that it's not fun to see how some of those people can be entertaining to talk to.
But what do you want eh... them -> in a box not able to see out and you -> outside the box able to see everything including what is inside the box
Old September 29, 2010, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This back and forth bickering makes me sick.

Let's consider this thread done. I can't see any good in leaving it open.
Closed Thread