Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2010, 03:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Why? Firefox and Chrome work on XP no problem. The security exploits is an accusation by that author with no stats given. I haven't read that they are just as bad as IE. When you look at the web browser comparisons, IE generally does the worst at everything including security.

Web Browser Security Summary

The speed and general usage comparsions make IE look even worse.
Pretty sure the next version of FF will need Vista or 7 for all the features to work. They are offering acceleration on the GPU, using the interface extensions of Vista/7 for implementation.

But yes...I don't use IE either. But like I said, Microsoft has a limited talent pool, so I would prefer their limited resources to be devoted to their latest OS (being a consumer OS, 'Joe-public' is more secure on Win7 than XP..power users like ourselves, not so much). Keep the code monkeys at MS working on the newer stuff. I would hate to have engineers at Ford working on keeping a 1991 Mustang environmentally and up-to-date, even if mine runs fine for me now.

Quote:

*snip*...all I was saying is M$ is 'crippling' XP by having various elements of its software not work so it's one thing not to support it but it's an obvious attempt to have users fork out money for the next OS. I think that's the duck quacking.

What's the big deal in pointing that out, huh?

Anyway, like some were saying, it was coming anyway. The support was extended but now M$ decided it's time to push the transition.
Again, no problem pointing it out. But your quote was 'why is noone talking about this' and it seems that many of us simply don't agree, and unfortunately you made a bold statement that MS was "blocking" the use of XP, and some have become annoyed that you seem to ignore points to the contrary.

But yes...lets be polite
Fold for team #54196
Old September 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Pretty sure the next version of FF will need Vista or 7 for all the features to work. They are offering acceleration on the GPU, using the interface extensions of Vista/7 for implementation.

But yes...I don't use IE either. But like I said, Microsoft has a limited talent pool, so I would prefer their limited resources to be devoted to their latest OS (being a consumer OS, 'Joe-public' is more secure on Win7 than XP..power users like ourselves, not so much). Keep the code monkeys at MS working on the newer stuff. I would hate to have engineers at Ford working on keeping a 1991 Mustang environmentally and up-to-date, even if mine runs fine for me now.
I haven't read/heard of FF limiting features unless you use Vista or 7. But, M$ is making the entire browser incompatible with XP. You see a difference? Unless FF has 90%+ of features turned off, I would think there is a bit of a difference. I see what you're saying, however. They're moving to cater to M$'s wishes. I wonder what these features will be and what they entail. The other operating systems might have low market share but there are Apple and Linux systems out there, too.

Quote:
Again, no problem pointing it out. But your quote was 'why is noone talking about this' and it seems that many of us simply don't agree, and unfortunately you made a bold statement that MS was "blocking" the use of XP, and some have become annoyed that you seem to ignore points to the contrary.
Well, not blocking per se but throwing in obstacles or restricting certain elements of software. It's part of ending support, though, and creating some reasons or incentive to move to Vista or 7?

If you think my statement is bold, wait to see what comes out when IE is officially released at 9. A lot of XP users still use IE ('don't know why).
Old September 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry but I cant take anyone seriously who spells it "M$".

Its an ancient OS that is out dated. I dont have any problem with them directing their time and effort towards more important endeavors. Based on your "winblows" and similar comments in other threads plus this thread you obviously have an axe to grind against MS. That or you are a conspiracy theorist. Guess which way I'm voting.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Someone else started with 'M$' and I was just using it for brevity....lazy typing...

Microsoft is always going against generally accepted standards in the IT community. Especially regarding web technologies and standards.

Google faces off against Microsoft, Apple over Web video standard - Computerworld

Linux News: Developers: Countries Line Up Against OOXML as Global Standard

Opera files complaint against Microsoft in the EU over IE, Windows bundle; CTO makes Web standards case | ZDNet

Many examples but I admit, I'm not up to speed about them all. I do know, from others' experiences who design web sites the countless times IE ver. doesn't work the same as the rest (as far as page display and operation goes).

You call this wearing a tinfoil hat or conspiracy; I say it's better to wear the tinfoil hat than the dunce cap.

I guess if one gets secondhand gifts or discounts, they are less likely to be objective or they will let such behaviors slide. Understandable...what can ya do...
Old September 28, 2010, 06:20 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:

You call this wearing a tinfoil hat or conspiracy; I say it's better to wear the tinfoil hat than the dunce cap.

I guess if one gets secondhand gifts or discounts, they are less likely to be objective or they will let such behaviors slide. Understandable...what can ya do...
A little bit of irony here.

In the end, the name of the game in today's consumerism is planned obsolescence. For this, I understand your pain technix...but I would hardly point the finger at MS.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 28, 2010, 06:27 PM

LOL, yeah because I get sooo much from MS. Oh right that would be nothing.

Honestly dude if your only two cap choices are dunce and tin foil.... you need to buy a new hat as you wardrobe is awfully limited.

Saying you used "M$" or winblows because you are lazy is being disinegnious at best. It takes a heck of a lot less effort to type MS then it does M$ (by my count 50% more work with 3 keys vs 2) and the term winblows really does show your true colours.

As for IE....you are / were hating on XP and how it was sooo evil of MS to not allow IE 9 on it. NOW its oh but IE is so terrible and slow. If its so bad then why do yo care so much if its on XP or not? At least argue your POV from sincerity and have to courage to stand by your convictions.

For the record I hate IE. It WAS a great program back in the day but that was MANY years ago and now its just a bloated corpse that needs to be put down. I personally use FF, but hey Im probably bought and paid off by Moziala to! I use what is best for my needs in a given situation. I dont care about the politics behind it, I just use the best tool to get work done.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
A little bit of irony here.

In the end, the name of the game in today's consumerism is planned obsolescence. For this, I understand your pain technix...but I would hardly point the finger at MS.
You think the only plan is obsolescence? Oooookay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
LOL, yeah because I get sooo much from MS. Oh right that would be nothing.

Honestly dude if your only two cap choices are dunce and tin foil.... you need to buy a new hat as you wardrobe is awfully limited.

Saying you used "M$" or winblows because you are lazy is being disinegnious at best. It takes a heck of a lot less effort to type MS then it does M$ (by my count 50% more work with 3 keys vs 2) and the term winblows really does show your true colours.

As for IE....you are / were hating on XP and how it was sooo evil of MS to not allow IE 9 on it. NOW its oh but IE is so terrible and slow. If its so bad then why do yo care so much if its on XP or not? At least argue your POV from sincerity and have to courage to stand by your convictions.

For the record I hate IE. It WAS a great program back in the day but that was MANY years ago and now its just a bloated corpse that needs to be put down. I personally use FF, but hey Im probably bought and paid off by Moziala to! I use what is best for my needs in a given situation. I dont care about the politics behind it, I just use the best tool to get work done.
my only cap choice is the tinfoil one so the other one must be up for grabs.

I'm not arguing FOR ME! I'm talking about general Windows (happy?) users. Contrary to many ppl, I'm looking at the entire picture and not a self-serving perspective. I think XP is okay for a ... 8-10 yr-old OS. It's progressed okay for MS stuff. With the resources MS has, compared to other operating systems, it might not be the top now but it is probably their best so far. I am wary of MS and not their #1 fan so why take it so personal with a bit of harmless mocking? I agree with using the best tool so can't argue there. True colours of what? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Unless, you're Billy's secret long-lost buddy or relative, I don't know why it's so bad to make fun of MS. There's some justified criticism so where's the harm? In this case, I alluded to other browsers working just fine in XP but IE9 won't work at all in XP. I don't know what features FF, Opera, Chrome, and Safari are planning but I doubt any will be fixed so they don't work at all in XP.

Yes, XP was on its way out but there are people who still want to use it who don't care about the features so either they have to upgrade for $100+ a pop or move to a different browser or consider other changes. I was just making some observations but I should have known some people would get really defensive. Strange, imho, though. Where's the 'bow down' smiley... don't want to get too many shirts in a knot.

Last edited by technix; September 28, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old September 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Google is supporting Chrome no matter your OS. Same with Mozilla and Firefox.
Don't think newest versions of Firefox and Chrome supports Windows ME which is just a couple of years older than XP, and with XP support they're sometimes limited to SP2 or later only.

New versions of IE not available to older versions of Windows is nothing new, IE6 SP2 was only available to XP SP2, W2K remained on IE6 SP1.

What are support status for the 2002 versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE, Apple OS, etc..?
Old September 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
Don't think newest versions of Firefox and Chrome supports Windows ME which is just a couple of years older than XP, and with XP support they're sometimes limited to SP2 or later only.

New versions of IE not available to older versions of Windows is nothing new, IE6 SP2 was only available to XP SP2, W2K remained on IE6 SP1.

What are support status for the 2002 versions of Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE, Apple OS, etc..?

Windows ME?
Quote:
Although not officially supported, a utility called KernelEx can run Firefox 3.x versions on Windows 98 and Windows Me (These versions/lines are no longer supported by Mozilla).
You're reaching for straws, though. What's the market share for Windows ME?
Old September 28, 2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
What's the market share for Windows ME?
about the same as nix?

:)~

j/k

Closed Thread