Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Suddenly shut off, let me go back to the fact they announced a year or two ago that they will be slowly phasing out support for XP. Its an operating nearly a decade out. You can't really compare support of an OS to support of a Web Browser, a hell of a lot less under the hood. Apple has done the same thing as well. At some point you have to stop supporting older OS for newer ones.
Fine, stop support but they are doing things that restrict its use. But, NO ONE ELSE IS. There's no other company blocking use of Windows or more explicitly, Windows XP except Microsoft themselves. XP users will just switch to Chrome or Firefox, will have to make due with web sites that need IE9 (and can't use them) and should be able to manage with third party programs or software (assuming certain Windows software won't work anymore or will have limitations or updates not compatible).

I hope you can make the distinction. Sure, there isn't support for the age of the OS but no need to have restrictions built in and that's what M$ is doing or has.
Old September 28, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

how is this different than what they did with direct x?

or how Apple makes it so that your handheld doesnt work AT ALL untill you apply AND AGREE to the latest updates?

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Banned
F@H

well, its doing competition to w7, so why not kill the old and force more sales of the new?

i think i saw it on steam percentages, xp is still in numbers.
Old September 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So how far back do you go? Should IE9 work with windows 95?

At some point, support and development stops. I'm surprised that they're still offering security updates for XP considering how long ago they said they'd stop supporting it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 28, 2010, 01:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Fine, stop support but they are doing things that restrict its use. But, NO ONE ELSE IS. There's no other company blocking use of Windows or more explicitly, Windows XP except Microsoft themselves.
I have looked at the stories you posted and I don't see where MS is blocking users from using XP. Did I misread it?

They are indeed dropping support. Does 7/Vista do anything really that XP did not? I would say not for most people, if MS decided to support XP further.

Companies often drop support for older products after they issue new ones. Parts become unavailable for appliances, patches no longer issued for software, etc. This is the age of consumerism in a capitalist system. Is it silly? Yes. Is MS different than 90% of companies out there? No.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
F@H

if they intentionally make a new product not work with xp? its kinda blocking users from using the two together. do they have to? not really. xp is a bit like integra and acura. they had to kill the integra name, became bigger than life lol.
Old September 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Why Microsoft did the right thing in ditching XP for IE9

the "technical" reasons IE9 isnt supported under xp. Read it, then delete your post.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post

the "technical" reasons IE9 isnt supported under xp. Read it, then delete your post.
Yes, but if he did that then his favorite tinfoil hat wouldnt fit the same. Some peeps need "the man" to rile against or they dont feel superior any more. Not saying the OP is another m1dget but if it talks like a duck and walks like a duck....its a duck. Best is to either chuckle at their antics or ignore them. Though making fun of them works to.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 28, 2010, 01:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

To be honest, I would like for MS to keep its best programmers on projects that improve the newest stuff too. I would hate to see their limited talent working on keeping older OSes and software working.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post

Why? Firefox and Chrome work on XP no problem. The security exploits is an accusation by that author with no stats given. I haven't read that they are just as bad as IE. When you look at the web browser comparisons, IE generally does the worst at everything including security.

Web Browser Security Summary

The speed and general usage comparsions make IE look even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes, but if he did that then his favorite tinfoil hat wouldnt fit the same. Some peeps need "the man" to rile against or they dont feel superior any more. Not saying the OP is another m1dget but if it talks like a duck and walks like a duck....its a duck. Best is to either chuckle at their antics or ignore them. Though making fun of them works to.
Ahhh, nice. I should know that a personal attack was coming. I wonder if the Mods have the cajonies to call you on it, though.

The accusation and point is legitimate so I'm not sure why one would think it justified to attack like that.

Unless, you have a secret deal with M$ but maybe you do.... all I was saying is M$ is 'crippling' XP by having various elements of its software not work so it's one thing not to support it but it's an obvious attempt to have users fork out money for the next OS. I think that's the duck quacking.

What's the big deal in pointing that out, huh?

Anyway, like some were saying, it was coming anyway. The support was extended but now M$ decided it's time to push the transition.

P.S. I have posted in the past asking about Windows 7, which one to get. I acknowledge in the computer world, you probably have to try the latest stuff and in market share, that will mean M$. Heck, there's people way worse than me with criticism of MS.... hardcore Apple and Linux users, for example... do they wear tinfoil hats, too?

Last edited by technix; September 28, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Closed Thread