Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
You do realize that even with an OEM version you only need to phone like that if you replace major hardware. Like in the OPs case he replaced the MB, CPU and ram. If you just replace a couple minor parts like video card, memory, hard drive, etc, then it will not need to be re-activated.
My tinfoil hat is stuck and I can't get it off...

I had that suspicion but it still doesn't change the fact you bought the OS. I figure it's all a plot to stop piracy and so be it. However, given the greed and the profits made, is that policy really necessary? You call up and have to say, my mobo died or my HDD died... can I pretty please re-install this OS software of yours I bought? PUH----LEASE?!?

Anyway, yeah, I get it.... as long as you assure them it's only going on one machine and you are only re-installing because there's a hardware component replacement. What happens if you bork your system? Most of the time you don't have to call and if you leave Automatic Updates off, you don't have to call? But, then you aren't getting patches. I guess enough re-installs and with Automatic Updates, there's potential for a subsequent re-install to get flagged or there's a detection (that is, info sent and received) that the hardware is the same?
Old September 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You do realize that even with an OEM version you only need to phone like that if you replace major hardware. Like in the OPs case he replaced the MB, CPU and ram. If you just replace a couple minor parts like video card, memory, hard drive, etc, then it will not need to be re-activated.
Actually windows has a system setup so that you get a certain amount of hardware changes before activation is due.

Major changes is almost guaranteed a phone call if OEM.
Old September 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Almost always changing CPU and motherboard together at the same time will trigger needing to re-activate. But I have had it just activate over the net before. And really even if you do have to call it is only a quick call and not really a big deal.

Old September 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I thought i read from some "reliable" source that OEM versions were attached to your motherboard serial number. The only time i needed to call was when i replaced a motherboard on my HTPC, and even then it was just an automated system that spat out a number.

Actually speaking of that, i guess i would need that number if i had to reformat that PC... hope i can find it somewhere...
Old September 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by M$.com
your Windows product key is not valid, if you don't have a Windows product key, or if you lost the product key that came with your copy of Windows, you'll need to buy a new one to activate Windows. You must activate Windows online or by phone within 30 days after installation to use every feature of Windows.
or use M$ support
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; September 28, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old September 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye 1080 View Post
I thought i read from some "reliable" source that OEM versions were attached to your motherboard serial number. The only time i needed to call was when i replaced a motherboard on my HTPC, and even then it was just an automated system that spat out a number.

Actually speaking of that, i guess i would need that number if i had to reformat that PC... hope i can find it somewhere...
my OEM case has the key
Old September 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
WindowsXP w/Media Center is the exception. If you sneeze on your computer you'll probably have re-activate Windows.
I replaced a burnt out DVD drive and had to re-activate
I added a wireless card and had to re-activate
The really stupid part is I took the card out then put it back in and had to re-activate Windows again.

Funny thing is I gotten away with mobo and CPU swap with Vista
Old September 28, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Encruncher View Post
WindowsXP w/Media Center is the exception. If you sneeze on your computer you'll probably have re-activate Windows.
I replaced a burnt out DVD drive and had to re-activate
I added a wireless card and had to re-activate
The really stupid part is I took the card out then put it back in and had to re-activate Windows again.

Funny thing is I gotten away with mobo and CPU swap with Vista
lol having to reactivate that often really isnt normal, even for xp

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 28, 2010, 06:06 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airw4ves View Post
I need an Anti-virus program and Im not sure which to get
Im looking at McAfee , Norton 360, and BitDefender
My recommendations: paid antivirus -- Norton or Kaspersky. Freebie antivirus -- MS Security Essential or Panda CloudAV.

Unless there's specific reasons you need security suites, just the basic antivirus version is enough, Norton 360 have even more "features" then suites, e.g., online storage space, embedded support, it's not the Norton product I'd recommend, however, the basic Norton AV 2010/2011 is very good.

If you want some benchmarks (but do take them with a pinch of salt!):

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Performance Tests

AV-Test.org · Tests of Anti-Virus- and Security-Software
Old September 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Tanks guys, I think Ill just stick with my AVAST freebie for now but thanks again for all the help!
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~