Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2010, 10:17 PM

I think it'd be pretty cool for gaming. My SLI rig with 12GB of RAM and 6 core processor could certainly be split right down the middle in terms of power if a buddy brought his monitor, keyboard, and mouse over to play some games.

LANNing would all of a sudden be feasible again.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have to suggest multiple (now useless for most people) Pentium 1-2-3 machines running a linux/BSD distro with the X server that would connect to the client on a single more powerful machine running also a linux/BSD distro with all the client applications you want on.
You can usually find those old machines for free if you know where to look and the more powerful computer running the client side would be whatever you want it to be.

You would install the applications you want to run on all your machines on the more powerful machine and all the older machines would act as if they were the more powerful one (in theory).
It's a bit tricky to configure if you never actually tried to screw around with the X Window System, but it's heck of a good solution when you manage to make it work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Example. 1 user wants to use windows. The other user wants to use Ubuntu. And 1 more wants to use Leopard and the hardware happens to be compatible with everything.
The only way you could do this in a 'seemless' way is with virtual machines running on the more powerful machine that user could connect with the X server and start the virtual machines as a client applications.

Other than that you simply can't have more than one OS running on a single machine (on the hardware level).
Old October 2, 2010, 07:35 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

There is a Linux distro called Userful Multiseat Linux that schools are using and it allows for up to ten people per computer with their own keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I am not sure of the availability to the average user but I am sure you could call them and find out. Its a multi user system and its quite impressive. 10 stations based off one machine would be sweet you might want to take a look..

Home : Multiseat Linux Desktop Virtualization And Secure Centrally Managed Computers - Userful

above is the link to the website :D ..

Its a really sweet project and even cooler if you need to run multiple units and dont want to get raped by your electric bill.
Old October 2, 2010, 08:57 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Ikonnet Hishare-PC sharing, Multiuser, Share PC Computer Lab
Old October 2, 2010, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The information is a little bit fuzzy, but it looks like each PC has to use their "USB/PS2 Converter" which I'm assuming does double duty of discrimating between keyboard/mouse for each individual station.

It also looks like it would be limited to only 2000, or XP, but a person could conceivably use VMs on the individual stations for different OS.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 2, 2010, 10:36 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The information is a little bit fuzzy, but it looks like each PC has to use their "USB/PS2 Converter" which I'm assuming does double duty of discrimating between keyboard/mouse for each individual station.

It also looks like it would be limited to only 2000, or XP, but a person could conceivably use VMs on the individual stations for different OS.
It's one PC. For each extra station, you need a USB dongle with keyboard and mouse ports on it, and an extra video output. I don't know if it works on anything newer than XP since XP is the only OS I've ever used it on.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

But it only allows for 3 users. and you need a vga card for each seperate unit. that would not be very helpful unless you had extra slots available. so that means no crossfire or sli :(

and upon reading more it is only for 2000/xp and does not support pci-E, only agp and pci cards :(