Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

Default Must have's

Hello HWC,

I am not sure if this has been done before and i apologize if it has. When u do a clean install of windows what are some 'must have' software you install?

Cheers!
SKW
Old September 15, 2010, 07:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Drivers (mobo/vid/etc)
7-Zip
Notepad++
Realtemp
CPU-Z
LinX
Furmark
mplayer classic
foobar2000
Old September 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ninite Easy PC Setup - Silent Unattended Install Multiple Programs At Once
Quick & Easy PC Setup for Windows XP - Allmyapps
Old September 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Firefox.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:17 AM
Allstar

Always got this on my flash drive, good foro troubleshooting, helping a friend or reinstalling Windows :

An antivirus
Superantispyware
A good web browser
CCleaner
Cpu-Z, Gpu-Z
Pidgin if you use instant messaging
Foxit reader
Microsoft Office
VLC or MPC
7-Zip
SNES emulator
Starcraft
uTorrent
Daemon Tools

Old September 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I do about a zillion reinstallations a month. heres what I make sure is in the puter when i'm done.

Drivers - obviously
activate - after drivers, usually because theres no net driver after install
updates - Usually between 70 and 80 updates on xp, cant remember on vista and not so many on 7
while updates are running i install;
foxit reader - fast alternative to adobe reader without the exploits (make SURE YOU DONT INSTALL THE ASK TOOLBAR POS)
Open office - update java when its done, then shut OFF the auto start and auto update.
zip over to youtube because thats the fastest way to get to the adobe flashplayer install site. (MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL THE ADDED GOOGLE TOOLBAR POS)
klite codec pack (this will install all video codecs and media player classic)
microsoft's security essentials - free antivirus similar to avg and avira, but no pay for me splash screens
google earth - if your so inclined (MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL THE TOOLBAR OR CHROME)
windows live essentials - I typically only install messenger, photo gallery movie maker and mail (Dont INSTALL THE TOOLBAR)

When those are done I adjust some services I'm not going to go into it here because you can screw up pretty bad playin with those if you dont know what your doin.

then i fire up IE go through the setup, pretty much choose the OPPOSITE of whatever it wants me to do
then go to internet settings and set google as my default search engine and homepage, set the tab settings to suit, remove bing as a search provider, go to the advanced tab, scroll down till you see "empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed" and make sure its checked.

by now the updates are done, reboot, check more updates, reboot.

install the trail version of perfectdisk and let it run its smart placement/defrag, do it 2 times if it looks like it needs it. then reboot an uninstall trial. or buy it if you like.

a word about google. I refuse to use anything google related other than search and earth. Specifically because google makes no secrets about watching and recording everything you do with their software. In a nutshell you are voluntarily installing and using spyware.

a word about installing free internet software. Almost all free software has "added optional" software that you can opt NOT to install. The rule of thumb is that if its not what you downloaded, you dont want it. make sure you read EVERYTHING that has a check besided it as those are things that will choke your pc at the end of the day. ESPECIALLY toolbars. you NEVER need a toolbar, so DONT install them.

a word about browsers... there is nothing wrong with IE, anyone who tells you different should be ignored. Mozilla is slow and ungainly, but has alot of cool add ons, Chrome is made by google and should be avoided for reasons stated in the word about google, Opera is fast and i have nothing bad to say about it because i'm personally biased, its my browser of choice. Safari, If you have safari on your system Its becuase you installed Itunes and didnt read my word about installing internet software. If you actually use safari you deserve it.

If your comfortable with it, hit start/run/msconfig/startup and uncheck everything except the antivirus. you DONT need ANYTHING else to start with the computer. If you use a messenger service and you want to have it start with the computer then leave that too. I always remove the entries in the registry so the list clears, but I dont suggest playing around in there if you dont know exactly what your doing, or have huge cajones.

thats about it.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0

Last edited by tzetsin; September 16, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

be aware of apps like this, as great as they are, they dont opt out of the junk that comes with the other software when it installs em

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 17, 2010, 06:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Old September 17, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
I do about a zillion reinstallations a month. heres what I make sure is in the puter when i'm done.

Drivers - obviously
activate - after drivers, usually because theres no net driver after install
updates - Usually between 70 and 80 updates on xp, cant remember on vista and not so many on 7
while updates are running i install;
foxit reader - fast alternative to adobe reader without the exploits (make SURE YOU DONT INSTALL THE ASK TOOLBAR POS)
Open office - update java when its done, then shut OFF the auto start and auto update.
zip over to youtube because thats the fastest way to get to the adobe flashplayer install site. (MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL THE ADDED GOOGLE TOOLBAR POS)
klite codec pack (this will install all video codecs and media player classic)
microsoft's security essentials - free antivirus similar to avg and avira, but no pay for me splash screens
google earth - if your so inclined (MAKE SURE NOT TO INSTALL THE TOOLBAR OR CHROME)
windows live essentials - I typically only install messenger, photo gallery movie maker and mail (Dont INSTALL THE TOOLBAR)

When those are done I adjust some services I'm not going to go into it here because you can screw up pretty bad playin with those if you dont know what your doin.

then i fire up IE go through the setup, pretty much choose the OPPOSITE of whatever it wants me to do
then go to internet settings and set google as my default search engine and homepage, set the tab settings to suit, remove bing as a search provider, go to the advanced tab, scroll down till you see "empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed" and make sure its checked.

by now the updates are done, reboot, check more updates, reboot.

install the trail version of perfectdisk and let it run its smart placement/defrag, do it 2 times if it looks like it needs it. then reboot an uninstall trial. or buy it if you like.

a word about google. I refuse to use anything google related other than search and earth. Specifically because google makes no secrets about watching and recording everything you do with their software. In a nutshell you are voluntarily installing and using spyware.

a word about installing free internet software. Almost all free software has "added optional" software that you can opt NOT to install. The rule of thumb is that if its not what you downloaded, you dont want it. make sure you read EVERYTHING that has a check besided it as those are things that will choke your pc at the end of the day. ESPECIALLY toolbars. you NEVER need a toolbar, so DONT install them.

a word about browsers... there is nothing wrong with IE, anyone who tells you different should be ignored. Mozilla is slow and ungainly, but has alot of cool add ons, Chrome is made by google and should be avoided for reasons stated in the word about google, Opera is fast and i have nothing bad to say about it because i'm personally biased, its my browser of choice. Safari, If you have safari on your system Its becuase you installed Itunes and didnt read my word about installing internet software. If you actually use safari you deserve it.

If your comfortable with it, hit start/run/msconfig/startup and uncheck everything except the antivirus. you DONT need ANYTHING else to start with the computer. If you use a messenger service and you want to have it start with the computer then leave that too. I always remove the entries in the registry so the list clears, but I dont suggest playing around in there if you dont know exactly what your doing, or have huge cajones.

thats about it.

I also seem to do tons all the time as well and what you listed here is almost exactly what I do. Pretty much the only difference is in the little bit of software the we use here and you don't, Office and adobe reader (I know, I would rather use foxit as well, not my decision). But really other than that everything is darn near exact even the IE settings, which I am the only one here that does it like that.

Old September 17, 2010, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CDburnerXP and IMGburn are pretty important for me. Note that you should only install the software you will USE. If you install any crap we tell you, you will only full your windows and you will have to do a newinstall in few week

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||