Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2010, 09:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default SM Bus Controller

I've been dealing with those yellow question marks in device manager on my XP Pro hard drive and it's killing me.
Under other devices I have Audio device on High Def Audio bus, SM Bus Controller and Unknown device being affected.

I've tried various solutions and none work. Apparently fixing SM Bus Controller can fix at least one of the other
items. Various sources say ATI driver for the card will fix it, some say chipset drivers for the Gigabyte mobo.
Again, I've tried various fixes and I'm losin' it surfing around for the solution.

Anyone with a REALLY good grasp of what will fix this: help would be a Godsend.

Thanx,

Mac
Old September 11, 2010, 10:12 PM
Banned
F@H

hey dude. we need you systems specs, dont be shy and update that drop down box and or list here

did you get the drivers? may want to try updating if already done so, maybe going to some older drivers?

w7 will by default have drivers left and right vs xp. so not sure if youre going with that very soon or keep your xp pro.

"

Motherboard: To Processor: embarassing Memory: right Video: now. HDD: Will update PSU: week's Case: this Sound: build Optical: after Monitor: : ) OS: finally 7

"

Old September 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried to install these yet?

ATI Catalyst

ATI cards now have their own HD audio on board the video card to allow for audio to be passed through the HDMI port.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

SM Bus is the motherboard/chipset typically. Usually Windows Update should clear that up I believe, in Windows 7 at least. But since your on XP, hit up the chipset manufacturer's website (Intel/NVIDIA/AMD/VIA) and download the latest drivers for the chipset your motherboard has.

For the audio device, install the latest Catalyst drivers (above). And if that doesn't work, you'll have to install the proper drivers for the onboard audio on the motherboard. I'd take a guess and say Realtek, but depends on what motherboard you have.
Old September 12, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Intel based motherboard?

Chipsets — SMBus controller not detected properly
Old September 12, 2010, 10:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Specs are up now _dangtx_ and sswilson, and I have tried ATI Catalyst Control Ctr Radeon drivers (10-7_xp32_dd_ccc_enu and 10-8 " " "), Realtek's 'all-in-one' driver, 'High Definition Audio driver R2.44' and mobo audio driver as well as a generic audio driver. I got the Realtek NIC taken care of but I can't seem to identify the sound device in Device Manager. It works when using my 7 hard drive but I can't find what's giving me sound. Everest and Unknown Device (an appl) give me ID info but otherwise are no help. I've done the SP2 updates but held off on SP3 after reading about some issues. I know I did something w/chipset update last week but I'll try it again. Thanx for the quick replies all.
Old September 12, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Mac29 what version of your MB

thier is 3 of them, need to look on MB to see "rev.X.XX"

what bios verson using
Old September 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Grab the Southbridge driver here: Motherboard/ Integrated Video Drivers for Windows XP Professional/Home I'm thinking that should clear it up.

Also, I'd highly recommend running SP3. Honestly no reason not too IMO, it's been out for quite some time and there's been no issues. Also I think SP2 has been dropped by MS for support, so you'll be running at a security risk too.
Old September 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
Banned
F@H

GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 3.3) - GIGABYTE

as per above, look on the pcb, lower left corner, or near cpu socket/inbetween pci(e) slots for the version. the ysometimes switch small components, eventhough it may look like the same model. sound is always realtek,well usually
Old September 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
sound is always realtek,well usually
For Gigabyte, I believe so. The LX ASUS stuff however is using VIA audio, and some of their SupremeFX stuff is SoundMAX based. But yeah, generally speaking, Realtek is the main one, and is what should be on this board.