Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2010, 08:44 AM
MVP

Default Changing my OS HDD to SSD

Hey guys, my Raptor 150GB is finally dying! I got all my applications installed on a seperate hard drive, I have a total of 5 HDD's in my pc for different things. Anyways I remember reading somewhere that you can save all the files that make your apps still work after you re-install windows, does anyone know how to do this? I'm in a rush! sorry
Thanks!

Lmk if I'm not being clear enough.

EDIT: I'm talking about the registry files
MOBO:Asus Striker 2 Formula
RAM:OCZ HPC REAPER 4GB 1066mhz pc2-8500 (5-5-5-15)@2.2v
PSU:CORSAIR 750W
CASE:Silvertstone TJ07
SOUND:Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Keyboard:Logitech G15 V2
Mouse:Razer DeathAdder
Case Cooling:2x92mm exhaust,2x120mm exhaust, 2x120mm Ultra Kaze(3000RPM)intake.
Running:Win7 64-bit Ultimate
F@H PPD:46957

Last edited by Cadence; September 11, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I am not sure about " All " of your applications but some or most of the files are in "C:\Documents and Settings\(your username) \Application Data and also in C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user name)\Application Data" that is on the windows 7 OS those files are all of your settings I think that is all that you need oh and if you are playing any games then you will probably want to save the save games which most likely are located in the "C:\Documents and Settings\( Your user name)\Documents " area.
myself I try to make all of my programs portable so that if I need to do a reinstall all of my programs are portable so that everything is already done I just copy paste my portable folder onto my new operating system and make shortcuts to the programs I use.

Edit
I just read the last bit, for the registry files ok well if everything is going to be exactly the same but the not so smart way is to just back up your registry ( Run regedit go to file then export) then reinstall it on your reinstall. but the proper way is to install your OS then reinstall all of the applications you are going to use then copy and paste all of your backed up files from here "C:\Documents and Settings\(your username) \Application Data and also in C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user name)\Application Data" that is on the windows 7 OS ,

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 11, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:10 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

To preserve your registry settings would be a huge pain since you'd probably have to go in and find them all manually. Your best bet is to just grab a drive imaging software like Acronis True Image and use that to clone your OS drive to the SSD.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
To preserve your registry settings would be a huge pain since you'd probably have to go in and find them all manually. Your best bet is to just grab a drive imaging software like Acronis True Image and use that to clone your OS drive to the SSD.
I am not sure if that would work properly going from a HD to an SSD, I thought that I read some where that there was problems doing this.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I am not sure if that would work properly going from a HD to an SSD, I thought that I read some where that there was problems doing this.
It works fine.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It works fine, I have done it myself and had no real issues. I still ended up rebuilding it later because lets face it half of the stuff doesn't need to be on there. So really I say take this as a good time to start fresh.

Old September 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Clean install...(why clone garbage and unnecessary Registry junk that accumulates)..back-up important stuff....I do this about once every couple of yrs or so regardless....especially if your starting out with a nice new SSD for your OS.
Old September 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm making ghost images, and restore them the same way.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for HDD cloning - you're looking for trouble if you try copying the files and hoping the registry works.

The Windows 7 install on my primary rig has went from an HDD to a SSD and back to an HDD (needed the SSD for a laptop) with no problems, except for a little issue with alignment of the OS partition.

One note about HDD cloning is that you may lose the alignment of your OS partition if your SSD is empty when Acronis copies the partition over to it. Acronis True Image (and possibly others) use a Windows XP-style partitioning which will make the "partition starting offset" of drive "C:" equal to (32768-512) which does not play well with an SSD that has 4k sectors. (since 32768-512 does not divide evenly by 4k)

If you have the ~100MB System Reserved Partition at the beginning of your HDD, you should be fine, as it seems to be sized such that your primary OS partition will start at exactly 101MB, which is 4k aligned. Otherwise I'd check the alignment of the OS partition before and after you copy everything over.

To check alignment, open up "System Information" (type that into start menu search) and then go to Components -> Storage -> Disks. The "partition starting offset" should be divisible by 4096 without a remainder.

EDIT: slight clarifications

Last edited by frontier204; September 11, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Acronis+ PAt tool and your good to go.