Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
Allstar

Default System restore won't work at all, vista 32

So I tried to restore, and it failed, tried a diff restore point, failed. ALL restore points fail.

It looks like its working, goes through the paces, reboots, then says it failed...

Any ideas to start me off?
Old December 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
Rookie

I never had much luck with system restore myself. I learned my lesson with it back a few years ago. These days many software problems embed themselves in restore points.

Honestly, anything serious enough to require a restore point is enough to make me do a full wipe and reinstall. Im at the point now where I can do it in an evening. reformatting the drive, reinstalling, updating, drivers, essential programs....getting everything new again from a fresh start is worth it.

Keeping in mind, Im new to this forum and dont know the specifics of your problem.
Old December 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

System Restore is a joke and usually causes more grief than it does any good.

There is never a reason to use system restore as most stuff is easily fixable and if not fixable and system restore takes care of it.

System Restore was a horrible idea as its a great breeding ground for viruses/malware.
Old December 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
Allstar

I guess I am just being picky as I actually never use system restore either...

I just like everything to "work" it literally keeps me up at night when stuff isn't perfect.

It doesn't translate to everything as my yard looks like crap and my house is messy all the time, but when it comes to electronics it is 100% or nothing, I fix medical electronics so it's probably where it comes from...

Why, knowing this about myself, I would then choose to install Vista on my new rig?

Not a clue...

Also "hibernate" does not work, shuts down ok, but when you turn it back on it freaks out, glitches and says it couldnt recover from hibernation, then loads up, takes 5x longer than a cold startup...

again, I prefer a full shutdown, but still...
Old December 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Rookie

people turn their computers off?

I dont think mine has been turned off except for cleaning in the past year.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
I guess I am just being picky as I actually never use system restore either...

I just like everything to "work" it literally keeps me up at night when stuff isn't perfect.

It doesn't translate to everything as my yard looks like crap and my house is messy all the time, but when it comes to electronics it is 100% or nothing, I fix medical electronics so it's probably where it comes from...

Why, knowing this about myself, I would then choose to install Vista on my new rig?

Not a clue...

Also "hibernate" does not work, shuts down ok, but when you turn it back on it freaks out, glitches and says it couldnt recover from hibernation, then loads up, takes 5x longer than a cold startup...

again, I prefer a full shutdown, but still...
Why bother using hibernate or turn your computer off? The little power they use isn't going to make a huge impact on your power bill.
Old December 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
Allstar

power-on = $$$

power-off =

No reason to leave it on, less chance of damage, less power usage, less cleaning needed less bad, more good.

pc can pull 250 watts at idle, 24/7 that like 12 bucks a month down the toilet. Just think, 150 bux a year can buy you a new toy for your pc
Old December 5, 2007, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by donimo View Post
power-on = $$$

power-off =

No reason to leave it on, less chance of damage, less power usage, less cleaning needed less bad, more good.

pc can pull 250 watts at idle, 24/7 that like 12 bucks a month down the toilet. Just think, 150 bux a year can buy you a new toy for your pc
$12/month isn't that much at all and what do mean by less chance of damage and cleaning? As long as you have proper airflow and keep your house clean do regular maintenance on your machine and have it hooked upto a proper battery backup there is no damage at all.
Old December 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya all Sys restore does is take up room and if there are any problems( like MAL ware , Virus's) in the restore point you will bring them right back out my sister learned that lesson she was downloading all this stuff and she caught a virus but didn't notice it for a couple of days used the anti virus and it got rid of the virus except the one stored in the restore point she did a sys restore (because of some other problem she had) took off for a week ( some Vacation) came back and her computer would boot but that was it I had to wipe everything I actually talked her into a new HD because she only had a small 60 gig anyway I told her that when ever you use any cleaner virus/malware program to always turn off the sys restore or better yet don't even use it.
Old December 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
$12/month isn't that much at all and what do mean by less chance of damage and cleaning? As long as you have proper airflow and keep your house clean do regular maintenance on your machine and have it hooked upto a proper battery backup there is no damage at all.
Well, you would have to agree that there is a better chance of a component failing when the PC is powered on vs off. Your power supply rarely blows when off, but if it did when it was on it can take a lot of stuff with it (personal experience). Sure it's unlikely, but the chances of a fialure drop waaaaaay further when it is off.

And as for cleaning, well that' easy, if a fan isnt turned on, it cant suck up dust.
I clean my PC about once every 3 years, and trust me even that is overkill as its never dirty...

At work I have the same system running in 2 different departments, one is on 24/7 365, the other only for a few hours a day during the week, one needs cleaning every 3 months, the other only once in 6 years. One has had a power supply issue, 3 screen issues and about 40x the filter changes, guess which one?