Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Dual boot vista 64 on second HD

I have Vista 32 on my primary HD and I want to install 64 on my second HD as a dual boot option. There's no way to do it from within windows so what is the best way to do this?

I've tried going into the bios and changing the HD boot priority to the second HD, then botting from the Vista64 dvd, but iI get a driver related crash before it can load windows. Anyone done this, or know how? All the online guides seem to be XP/Vista 32 dual boot guides, which is different because they're both 32 bit.

PS- I have two licences for Vista- my primary HD has an OEM 32 bit version, and I have another retail 64 bit copy to install
Old December 4, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I have Vista 32 on my primary HD and I want to install 64 on my second HD as a dual boot option. There's no way to do it from within windows so what is the best way to do this?

I've tried going into the bios and changing the HD boot priority to the second HD, then botting from the Vista64 dvd, but iI get a driver related crash before it can load windows. Anyone done this, or know how? All the online guides seem to be XP/Vista 32 dual boot guides, which is different because they're both 32 bit.

PS- I have two licences for Vista- my primary HD has an OEM 32 bit version, and I have another retail 64 bit copy to install
Unplug your main drive when installing Vista onto the second drive then you'll need to use a boot manager to get the menus set right.
Old December 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Forget that, just boot into the xp64 DVD and install it on the second drive.
Old December 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys- Does it give you the option on boot-up to select the destination? or does it just go ahead and formet your primary drive (which would be disastrous...)
Old December 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Thanks guys- Does it give you the option on boot-up to select the destination? or does it just go ahead and formet your primary drive (which would be disastrous...)
I've ran into issues with Vista with having 2 hard drives hooked up coming up with an error saying it can't find any drives for installation. So I had to unplug one and it worked fine after which is why I recommend unplugging the main one so you don't accidentally cause any problems.
Old December 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Windows always wants to install itself on the primary drive; I would follow enaberif's comment and unplug your primary drive.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will do- thanks
Old December 4, 2007, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I have a Vista 64 + XP 32 dual boot. What I had to do since I installed Vista first, is install XP and let it overwrite the boot sector, then once XP was installed I booted with the vista disk and repaired the vista boot. Doing that automatically created a boot entry for Vista & XP, works perfectly.

Do you have 4GB of ram installed in your system? The 64 installer is prone to blue screening during install if you match that criteria. I had to remove 2 of my dimms to install 64, then download a patch and put the other 2 in.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old December 4, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
I have a Vista 64 + XP 32 dual boot. What I had to do since I installed Vista first, is install XP and let it overwrite the boot sector, then once XP was installed I booted with the vista disk and repaired the vista boot. Doing that automatically created a boot entry for Vista & XP, works perfectly.

Do you have 4GB of ram installed in your system? The 64 installer is prone to blue screening during install if you match that criteria. I had to remove 2 of my dimms to install 64, then download a patch and put the other 2 in.
The 64bit patch isn't always need but it seems to be more so than not, but definitely a good piece of advice.