Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2007, 09:33 PM
Rookie

Default upgrade from vista 32 to 64?

I just purchased a copy of vista home prem oem 32bit about a month ago, and now realize that the 64bit version would have been a better fit, is there anyway to upgrade? Or do I have to buy another copy and toss this copy I have now in the garbage?

I tried the windows upgrade thing, but it will only let me upgrade to 32bit ultimate.

Thanks for any help.
Old December 3, 2007, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaret View Post
I just purchased a copy of vista home prem oem 32bit about a month ago, and now realize that the 64bit version would have been a better fit, is there anyway to upgrade? Or do I have to buy another copy and toss this copy I have now in the garbage?

I tried the windows upgrade thing, but it will only let me upgrade to 32bit ultimate.

Thanks for any help.
OEM is only 32bit and no point in upgrading unless you have more than 4gb of memory.
Old December 3, 2007, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
I think that there isn't to many programs that run on 64 bit and when you change it to 32bit compatibility you run into problems
Old December 3, 2007, 11:17 PM
Rookie

ive got 4gb, two sli 640mb cards, so I only get to use 2.3gb of my 4gb, and I run apps that would more then benefit from the extra memory. Hence why I need to upgrade.

NCIX.com - Buy Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - 66I-00788 In Canada.

theres a link for a 64bit oem copy of vista fyi

And all programs should run on 64bit, its the hardware that can have problems I belive.

I'm just asking if anyone knows of a way to upgrade, not if I should or not. But thanks anyways :)
Old December 3, 2007, 11:35 PM
Allstar

To the best of my knowledge, you can only upgrade a 32-bit version to another 32-bit version because the install file you get from Windows Marketplace is a 64-bit installation file which, obviously, requires that you install it using an existing 64-bit OS.
Old December 3, 2007, 11:36 PM
Rookie

ahh, thats what I was afraid of, thanks for the info :)
Old December 4, 2007, 04:32 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I think that there isn't to many programs that run on 64 bit and when you change it to 32bit compatibility you run into problems
16-bit DOS programs have compatibility issues, the vast majority of recent software works fine. Pretty much all recent hardware with decent support works fine too.

To the OP: I don't think there's a way to upgrade, it's a limitation with the OEM versions.
Old January 6, 2008, 06:49 AM
MVP

Talking

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
you have oem likely no.
inspite of all the 64 bit hype even the last couple years and processor advertised capabilities
probably still better at 32 for now.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old January 6, 2008, 11:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreman View Post
you have oem likely no.
inspite of all the 64 bit hype even the last couple years and processor advertised capabilities
probably still better at 32 for now.
I'd strongly disagree.

There are many people very happily running Vista x64, some like myself for a long time now.

Vista manages RAM extremely well, so well that i believe you cannot really have too much RAM in Vista.
(Largely due to Superfetch.)

Considering that 4+ GB in Vista is faster than 3 GB (or whatever ends up being useable) in Vista x86, & there are actually very few real compatibility issues in x64, i would recommend x64 to anyone getting Vista these days.
Old January 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
I'd strongly disagree.

There are many people very happily running Vista x64, some like myself for a long time now.

Vista manages RAM extremely well, so well that i believe you cannot really have too much RAM in Vista.
(Largely due to Superfetch.)

Considering that 4+ GB in Vista is faster than 3 GB (or whatever ends up being useable) in Vista x86, & there are actually very few real compatibility issues in x64, i would recommend x64 to anyone getting Vista these days.
Superfetch is a joke.