LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2008, 01:15 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Superfetch is a joke.
Great edifying comment there.

It's not a joke.

I wouldn't say it provides a massive improvement, but it certainly helps, & i think largely due to that, is what makes Vista feels snappier & faster than XP on a good system.

It would be nice to be able to customize what Superfetch caches, but even still, it's a very nice regardless.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Great edifying comment there.

It's not a joke.

I wouldn't say it provides a massive improvement, but it certainly helps, & i think largely due to that, is what makes Vista feels snappier & faster than XP on a good system.

It would be nice to be able to customize what Superfetch caches, but even still, it's a very nice regardless.
Superfetch is Microsofts way of being lazy and not properly correcting memory management in Windows so all is does is cache EVERYTHING into memory to make it seem like its running faster.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:45 AM
MVP

It doesn't cache everything into RAM.

It caches bits of those commonly used applications to save in loading times, etc.

In XP, unused RAM was just that. Unused, sitting there doing nothing.
Going to waste.

In Vista, unused RAM caches your most commonly used applications, etc.
When that RAM is needed for an active process, it unloads what was cached to run what you currently have needing that RAM.

Of course, this all happens seamlessly.

How you come to the conclusion this is a bad thing is a bit confusing, considering there is basically no drawback, & performance is better as a result.

I've noticed that going from 1 GB to 2 GB to 4 GB to even 8 GB, there are performance improvements all along the way.

The biggest one is going from 1 to 2 GB, but there is clearly a boost going from 2 to 4 GB, & though a lot smaller, a slight increase from 4 to 8 GB.
Old January 7, 2008, 04:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaret View Post
ive got 4gb, two sli 640mb cards, so I only get to use 2.3gb of my 4gb, and I run apps that would more then benefit from the extra memory. Hence why I need to upgrade.

NCIX.com - Buy Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM - 66I-00788 In Canada.

theres a link for a 64bit oem copy of vista fyi

And all programs should run on 64bit, its the hardware that can have problems I belive.

I'm just asking if anyone knows of a way to upgrade, not if I should or not. But thanks anyways :)
its worse than that my friend 32 bit only sees 4gb's as in all your memory so your gpus are taking up part of that 4gb address also so thats why u only have actually 2GB's of ram to use, i think windows uses the 4gbs of ram but its not available to the user to use in apps just in windows. so if u want all your 4gbs plus your video ram u need 64 bit and i have 64 bit yes some old school games dont even install in 64 bit.
Old January 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
its worse than that my friend 32 bit only sees 4gb's as in all your memory so your gpus are taking up part of that 4gb address also so thats why u only have actually 2GB's of ram to use, i think windows uses the 4gbs of ram but its not available to the user to use in apps just in windows. so if u want all your 4gbs plus your video ram u need 64 bit and i have 64 bit yes some old school games dont even install in 64 bit.
Really old stuff may have issues, yes, so for those you might want to keep a dual boot to an x86 OS.
Fortunately, everything but ancient games work fine in x64.
I've actually been impressed at how few programs actually even needed updates, etc. to work in Vista x64.

For the majority of things, you don't even need a patch or update & it'll still work well in x64.
Obviously if there is an update, it's worth getting.

Vista x86 isn't a wise purchase right now, unless you're in a specific situation where you run an app that doesn't work in x64 (& there's no alternative), which tends to be rare.

Due the RAM limitations in x86, x64 makes much more sense, as you won't have to worry about RAM limits like x86 users are, especially for a year or two down the road as well.

This is an old thread, so it doesn't really matter anymore, but i'd definitely recommend Vista x64 over x86.
Old March 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
Rookie

I remember when Windows XP x64 came out Microsoft was offering a free upgrade for Windows XP Pro x86 users, but once you upgraded to x64 there was no downgrading back.
Old March 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaret View Post
I just purchased a copy of vista home prem oem 32bit about a month ago, and now realize that the 64bit version would have been a better fit, is there anyway to upgrade? Or do I have to buy another copy and toss this copy I have now in the garbage?

I tried the windows upgrade thing, but it will only let me upgrade to 32bit ultimate.

Thanks for any help.
Did you ever get this figured out? BTW if you bought Vista 32bit you can order the 64bit version here (near the bottom) for $13 incl. shipping. So you don't have to toss the 32bit version in the garbage and you can have both versions.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 3, 2008, 03:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Did you ever get this figured out? BTW if you bought Vista 32bit you can order the 64bit version here (near the bottom) for $13 incl. shipping. So you don't have to toss the 32bit version in the garbage and you can have both versions.
Unfortunately for the OP, this is only available for retail versions of the OS, not OEM versions.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:13 PM
Rookie

ye, tried to do the $13 thing, but it says that my serial isnt recognized because its oem. So im surviving with 32bit till I goto format in a few months then I'll pickup a 64bit copy.