Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Moving Windows 7 to a New PC?

Recently my old PC that I had Windows 7 Home Premium on has stopped working due to the GPU failing, I have another build pretty much ready to go it just needs a OS and I was hoping there is a way to move the Windows 7 from the old PC to the new one..

The plan is to put Vista back on the old PC when I buy a new GPU for it and just use it as a media/storage device but the problem is I bought a windows 7 "Upgrade" disk so I needed vista I was just wondering if there was a LEGAL way to move it to my new PC..

I really don't want to fork out $230AUD for a new copy of Windows 7!

Any suggestions?
Old August 6, 2010, 10:06 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

This should help: How To: Use Your Windows 7 Upgrade Disk On a Fresh PC | Maximum PC
Old August 6, 2010, 10:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks mate, Much appreciated.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

To do this trick I imagine I would need to some how un-activate the windows 7 I have on my old PC which I would not know how to do even if my PC was still working...

I bet I will have to pay up the $230.. will set me back a while on getting the SSD which would be the last thing I need for the new build.. hmm..
Old August 6, 2010, 11:03 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You don't have to deactivate Windows. Just follow the instructions exactly and you should be good. You don't need to buy a new license.
Old August 6, 2010, 02:37 PM
MVP

Just reactivate it on the phone and tell them that it is a new motherboard....which IS the truth.

My brother does it all the time.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old August 6, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chances are you could even just take the drive you have now and put it into the other machine and boot off of it. You might have to clean up a bunch of drivers. But for activation you might not even have to phone them.

Old August 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just switched mb+ram+gpu+power supply no reinstall needed just drop the old drive in and boot in safe mode run driver sweeper. reboot then load new drivers done.

if the old drive is too old and crappy and you just want faster then just use software to clone it to new drive once booted and working on new gear. jmo
Old August 6, 2010, 06:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Chances are you could even just take the drive you have now and put it into the other machine and boot off of it. You might have to clean up a bunch of drivers. But for activation you might not even have to phone them.
Not recommended though....with a new build you should ALWAYS reformat.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old August 6, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Chances are you could even just take the drive you have now and put it into the other machine and boot off of it.
In my experience Win 7 does this beautifully.... just let it do it's thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Not recommended though....with a new build you should ALWAYS reformat.
My install is from Win 98 (then XP, then Vista, then Win 7) and 4 computer revisions. I don't have any problems at all. Upgrades do work. My machine is rock solid. Probably a lot of crap laying around though...

Anyway, I'd just grab the old drive and put it in the new machine, it'll work most times. Then go into add/remove programs and uninstall drivers you don't need anymore.