Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Safely Remove Hardware Can Remove EVERYTHING (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/34728-safely-remove-hardware-can-remove-everything.html)

geokilla July 30, 2010 11:25 PM

Safely Remove Hardware Can Remove EVERYTHING

Ok this is driving me nuts. My cousin gave me his Compaq Presario CQ45-104TX and it's driving me nuts! Apart from spending $75 to physically clean and fix the hinge, which couldn't be fixed, Safely Remove Hardware is driving me nuts! The Safely Remove Hardware icon is constantly around, saying I can remove the hard drive, the DVD drive, etc. How do I get rid of it?! At first, I thought it was some drivers I installed, like NVIDIA nForce drivers, but this thing has an Intel PM45 chipset. I formatted the laptop and reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium and even on first boot into desktop, it still says I can remove the hard drive!

I know it doesn't do me any harm, but it's very annoying and I feel that something's gonna break if I don't try and fix it.

enaberif July 30, 2010 11:30 PM

Can't do much.. its just how some chipsets roll.

And no it can't break anything.. if a drive or something was in use it'll say sorry.

Afrodisiac July 30, 2010 11:41 PM

Did you take a look around in Device Manager?

geokilla July 31, 2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 409930)
Can't do much.. its just how some chipsets roll.

And no it can't break anything.. if a drive or something was in use it'll say sorry.

Ugh it's so annoying. I thought this was a NVIDIA only thing >.>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac (Post 409935)
Did you take a look around in Device Manager?

What am I supposed to be looking for?

shaw July 31, 2010 08:38 AM

Are you running the drives in AHCI mode - check the BIOS.

ipaine July 31, 2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaw (Post 409988)
Are you running the drives in AHCI mode - check the BIOS.

That is what will do it. I know in my machine it lists all of the drives ever since I changed it over to AHCI. Oh if you happen to click remove on one that you don't want to then all you have to do is go to device manager and scan for hardware changes. That should get your drive back again.

gingerbee July 31, 2010 12:19 PM

this has to do with the driver your using. not to sure but have run into this problem many times on hwc's try updating sata/ahci drivers.

m1dget July 31, 2010 01:09 PM

From a non windows user I would simply guess that there's a screwup somewhere in the drivers and every time it syncs the drives it pops you that message to tell you that the buffer is emptied and that you can remove the drive.

But meh... it's windows and manufacturer's drivers are usually only fat broken blob that you can't do crap about it <_<

Zero82z July 31, 2010 04:27 PM

Since the laptop has AHCI enabled, all SATA devices are hot-pluggable, which means that you can connect and disconnect them at will (so long as you safely remove them). This is one of the best features of SATA in my opinion, since it lets you temporarily connect drives to your PC without having to reboot, while still giving you access to the full speed of the SATA bus rather than having to use a USB adapter to get the hot-plugging functionality.
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1dget (Post 410055)
From a non windows user I would simply guess that there's a screwup somewhere in the drivers and every time it syncs the drives it pops you that message to tell you that the buffer is emptied and that you can remove the drive.

But meh... it's windows and manufacturer's drivers are usually only fat broken blob that you can't do crap about it <_<

You should do a little more research. Maybe then you would learn that this is how it's actually supposed to work, rather than blaming Microsoft and Windows for perfectly implementing the SATA hot-plugging feature.

JD July 31, 2010 04:47 PM

As others have said, if you don't want this, which over to IDE/Legacy SATA mode rather than AHCI. Majority of BIOS's should have this option.