Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2010, 01:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What am I supposed to be looking for?
Anything unusual I suppose. Yellow warning icons. Also, maybe check Event Viewer, the System logs part.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just went through the BIOS, don't see an option to disable AHCI. Wth =.=
Old August 3, 2010, 06:26 AM
shaw

You don't disable AHCI, you choose IDE instead. And the options can be found in the submenu of the HDDs usually, or the Northbridge configuration depending on the BIOS options.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there normally under sata config for gigabyte boards . but pointless. jm2cents. find a driver that works akg worked this out i think so maybe he can help ya out hopefully. good luck geo
Old August 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The options that the two of you talked about does not exist. HP fail
Old August 3, 2010, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

It's not surprising that the option wouldn't be listed in an OEM BIOS. I'd even say that it's a good thing it isn't there, since in case some hapless idiot accidentally switches the setting without properly configuring Windows, he would end up unable to boot into an OS for apparently no reason. There's no real need for AHCI to be disabled other than aesthetic reasons.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It's not surprising that the option wouldn't be listed in an OEM BIOS. I'd even say that it's a good thing it isn't there, since in case some hapless idiot accidentally switches the setting without properly configuring Windows, he would end up unable to boot into an OS for apparently no reason. There's no real need for AHCI to be disabled other than aesthetic reasons.
My Dell laptop has the option...and all the Dell BIOSes I've seen do. It does come up with a nice warning prompt saying that it may make your OS un-bootable.

May be called legacy mode or something else. Hard to say really unless we could see the BIOS screens.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:42 AM
MVP

can you not just right click on your clock(notification area) and customize the icon?
Old August 4, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
The options that the two of you talked about does not exist. HP fail
oh sorry man that kinda sucks.
Old August 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

Geokilla,

You might try adjusting the SATA port configuration settings. To quote from a microsoft document:

"If an internal SATA port is incorrectly configured as an external SATA port, a system vendor or administrator can correct it without updating the system BIOS or the Windows software.

To work around this problem, you can disable external SATA support on a per-channel basis by setting the value of the TreatAsInternalPort registry key to 1 and then rebooting the system.
If the system has both internal and external SATA ports, but a device that is attached to an internal SATA port appears in the Safely Remove Devices dialog box in the system tray or in Devices and Printers, you should reset the registry key for the port."

The document is eSATA.docx, located here:
Internal and External SATA Port Configuration
Using a registry tweak, you can make the hard drive SATA port and the DVD drive port "internal" which means you cannot remove them and they won't be on the "Safely Remove Hardware list".
Another thing: I don't know what versions of windows the document applies to.

The above docx file mentions how to add this registry for each SATA channel. But the trick (that I still haven't figured out) is knowing which SATA channel is which - this seems to be confusing sometimes. But I guess it won't hurt to try out!