Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: Which Linux Distro is your favourite?
Slackware 2 5.41%
Debian 3 8.11%
RedHat/Fedora 3 8.11%
Mandriva 1 2.70%
Ubuntu 21 56.76%
SuSE 0 0%
Gentoo 4 10.81%
PcLinuxOS 2 5.41%
Knoopix 1 2.70%
xBSD - Not Linux but popular. 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleF View Post
I find that Ubuntu is more mainstream (not a bad thing) than Fedora, but Fedora has come a long ways since my first experience with it (actually a closely related product, RH9).
Ubuntu is totally what made linux mainstream and I seriously am glad of that! Its allow people who have always just known Windows to get their feet wet with linux and not drown immediately.
Old December 8, 2007, 01:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Ubuntu is totally what made linux mainstream and I seriously am glad of that! Its allow people who have always just known Windows to get their feet wet with linux and not drown immediately.
Not only that but the more people that use it the better a chance that more coders will come on board to produce even better software for the platform.
Old December 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

I chose Ubuntu because that is the only distro i ever tried, mainly cuz im not a programmer and want to free myself from windows. I really don't ever want to use windows vista at all. All those games that are vista only and cant be played on linux, ill just wait until something is figured out.
Old December 20, 2007, 02:48 PM
Rookie

I voted for Gentoo because that is what I use on my server, but I use Mandriva on my Desktop.

Old February 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
Rookie

Default Dual booting

yes ubuntu was an easy install compared to vista home premium 64 bit ( both operating systems are 64 bit) and since i currently only have 1 gb of ram the ubuntu is way faster
i have tried numerous distros (redhat,fedora,phlak,caldera,gentoo -plus) and a few windows (win95 98 98se winxp home and this vista home premium 64 bit) and most of the time i had less trouble with the linux's installs ( ok some of the older windows went with out and trouble lol)
ubuntu is easy to figure out ( with all the forums help)
HD103SJSpinpoint F3
capacity : 1 TB
interface : Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps
buffer memory : 32 MB (ATI 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device)
ATI 4670 1GB DDR3
Old February 24, 2008, 08:07 PM
MVP

I've found that all things being considered a number of top tier Linux distributions are as easy or easier to install, use & maintain than Vista or XP for that matter that's for sure.

I've got four "General Purposedistributions", among the very large number of those that I have tried, that I say are great examples of Linux today each of which I've had months or more than a year of steady use.

PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, Suse & Vector Linux

I was using PCLinuxOS 2007 since it was released and have great things to say about this distro. Stability, performance & reliability are what I love about it & I can't wait for the full (Only the Mini version has been released as of this writing) 2008 release. PCLinuxOS is my first choice.

I've also been also using OpenSuse 10.3 (Despite the Suse/MS controversy) for a few months now and at times it was less stable than PCLinuxOS running on the same hardware but has calmed down and become a real pleasure to use really. This distro has impressed me and IMHO would be a great starting point for Linux newbies. I have this distro installed as the only OS on the workstation at my ladies place and it has for the most part been a joy to use.

Linux Mint is my preferred Ubuntu based distro and IMHO provides a smoother & more seamless "out of the box" experience than vanilla Ubuntu does. This is a great distro for the Linux newbie.

Vector Linux is a fantastic Slackware based distribution which comes packed with all the bells & whistles necessary for a satisfying Linux experience. It's performance is second to none & is supported by a great community.

Honorable mention go to Pardus Linux which needs to get more attention than it is given. It's really a nicely put together distro.

As for a server based distribution I go wholeheartedly for SME Server (CentOS Based). This is a rock solid, reliable, dependable, extensible & secure distro which I have used extensively & can recommend it without hesitation. There is no fancy GUI, administration is web based & very nicely done, but for the server environment IMHO this is a plus.

Last edited by kingnubian; February 24, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old February 25, 2008, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Default might try these out

yeah i might try these two out PCLinuxOS, Suse
good luck everyone and take care
HD103SJSpinpoint F3
capacity : 1 TB
interface : Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps
buffer memory : 32 MB (ATI 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device)
ATI 4670 1GB DDR3