Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 03:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 keeps crashing - but not.

I experienced one hang about a week ago, and then the computer was fine.

The computer has become bloody slow. Anything that requires loading takes forever. My boot alone took like 10 minutes.

After it booted I logged in and let it sit there for a good 5 minutes, and then started to try and work again. Tried opening a folder on the desktop. It appeared to freeze (whole screen grayed out, and I got the spinning wheel) but after about 2 minutes it was fine, and unfroze. So now I'm sitting here with the folder open, and trying to open a notepad document from it, and its still bloody slow.

Hardrive busted?
Old July 7, 2010, 05:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i would start by running good up-to-date antivirus and antimalware.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old July 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post
i would start by running good up-to-date antivirus and antimalware.
I use microsoft security essentials, can you recommend a good antimalware to run to check if I'm affected or not?
Old July 7, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Malwarebytes
Old July 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've had good luck with MalwareBytes.

Edit: Ninja'd ^^^
Old July 8, 2010, 04:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

no antimalware program finds all of them.

good ones include SuperAntimalware, spybot, IObit Security 360.

there are surely other good ones too, but be aware that some combinations do not work well together (not compatible).

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

those are some pretty good anti malware programs , what you should also do is check your running process's and the google them to make sure that they are legit, it sounds to me like you caught some malware some where. it is kind of funny because I never caught a virus or malware for years then I switched web browsers and went to a website ( yes it was a pron website never again) I didn't do anything at the site just checked out a couple of things then closed my web browser, I went out for a while and when I came back I fired up the web browser to check out the forums here and it took for ever, i rebooted and still it took for ever. I think looked in my task manager and had 62 process's running which for mwe is allot I google every process and discovers I had some malware I caught it because my flash wasn't updated after you get rid of your malware problem go here and download this program it checks to make sure that everything is up to date PSI - Consumer - Products. oh and the funny thing is when I was going to run the anti malware program I was getting pop ups saying that it was malware hehe pretty smart program, I didn't fall for that . also when you are going to run any antivirus or anti malware programs I suggest that you boot into safe mode without any network
Old July 8, 2010, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
The computer has become bloody slow. Anything that requires loading takes forever. My boot alone took like 10 minutes.
If the processor usage in Task Manager is high when an app appears to freeze then there's something in the background sucking up cycles. You can also check the processor queue length with PERFMON. If both processor usage and queue are low then the problem is likely hardware.

For hard drive, run the HDD diagnostic from the vendor, e.g., SeaTools and see if it finds any problems. Also if the room is hot, check cooling/temp and make sure that the CPU is not throttling. Lastly, quickly check the Events Viewer logs for errors (My computer > right click > manage).

For software issues, anything running in the background, e.g., indexing or backup, that's using up processor/RAM resources should be evident in TASKMGR.

If there is CPU usage but the shown processes in TASKMGR cannot account for that usage, then odds are it's malware. Best chance of detecting and removing them -- since they're already hooked deep into the OS -- would be to scan from a PE boot disc. A number of vendors provide those, but use them with care since if you're dealing with a file infector and system files are involved, the cleaning process may make the system unbootable. However, with a fully patched W7 and UAC in place, odds of that happening without your knowledge is fairly small, anyways here's a list of some of the "PE" cleaners that are available:

BitDefender
Index of /rescue_cd

F-Secure
F-Secure Linux weblog Blog Archive Rescue CD 3.11

Kaspersky
Index of /devbuilds/RescueDisk/

Norton
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...nada/recovery/
Norton Support | Norton Recovery Tool
Old July 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks all for the replies,

I ran the virus and antimalware stuff, I appear to be ok

The problem has become more specific: the computer will lag every 5 seconds or so, no mattter what I'm doing. it's doing it now as I'm typing, and it did it while playing Crysis. Crysis played buttery smooth except for the hangs obviously, so I'm not sure what to make of it
Old July 9, 2010, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

From my experience from fixing computers everyday for a living I would be betting on a HDD. Should download your manufacture's diagnostics and run it asap. Backing up data would hurt either ^_^