Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hmmm just checked out Pardus and it seems they use XFCE which is my least favorite WM.
Old December 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Hmmm just checked out Pardus and it seems they use XFCE which is my least favorite WM.

Pardus 2007.3 uses KDE. Here is quote from a review.

"This is a distribution built from the ground up.
True, it uses KDE as its desktop environment, but it's a polished, customised KDE 3.5.8, and is all the better for it."
Old December 31, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
Pardus 2007.3 uses KDE. Here is quote from a review.

"This is a distribution built from the ground up.
True, it uses KDE as its desktop environment, but it's a polished, customised KDE 3.5.8, and is all the better for it."
odd doesn't look like kde at all ... hmm.
Old January 2, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default gaming in linux

I am just going to copy paste this in here from the forums at retestrak.nl/ I am thinking of trying to run Linux on my New system when its finished
Quote:
gaming in linux

by revere on 13 Apr 2007 02:57 pm
cedega is an app for linux used to play windows games on the linux os
it supports the latest games in fact ive yet to find a game that ive loaded with it that doesnt work
since linux uses less system resources to run than windows and the directx emulation layer is all but transparent the majority of games will run BETTER on linux as they have more system resources at their immediate disposal (want proof? just play BF2 on it after playin on windows, its smoother much smoother)
Cedega, TransGaming's flagship Linux portability product, allows hundreds of Windows games to run on Linux seamlessly and transparently, right out of the box. With Cedega installed on a computer running Linux, users can simply insert their favorite Windows game CD, then install and play that game just as they would on a Windows system. Cedega can run hundreds of top tier titles on Linux, including blockbuster hits such as BattleField 2, World of WarCraft, Dungeon Siege 2, Madden 2006, Half Life 2, City of Villains, WarCraft III and Star Wars Galaxies, just to name a few.
How Cedega Works

Cedega works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on a Linux system and linking it to a Linux-optimized version of the Win32 APIs. TransGaming's Cedega implements common multimedia Windows APIs such as Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound and many others by mapping them to Linux equivalents like OpenGL, X11, and the OSS or ALSA sound APIs. Cedega is the culmination of many years of effort on these APIs. The TransGaming Teams knowledge of APIs such as DirectX is probably second only to Microsoft's.
The Cedega Experience

Cedega also provides an easy to use interface to manage the games installed on a Linux system, as well as the options that can be selected for each title. Unlike how games are installed on a Windows system, Cedega installs each game into its own separate environment, thereby ensuring that the new game can never interfere with previously installed titles. Removing a game is just as easy - instead of a complex and error prone uninstall process, the game environment can simply be deleted without affecting other installed games.
File Description:
After many months of intense development, we couldn't be more thrilled
to be taking the wraps off our latest and most exciting Cedega version yet: Cedega 6.0.
Codenamed Swordfish, this release features sweeter graphics, increased performance, vastly
improved usability, and more games supported than ever before.

The manual update for the Cedega 6.0 engine is also included. Install using TransGaming -> Install Local Update.

New Features

Cedega 6.0

* TransGamers can now play Battlefield 2142, Need for Speed: Carbon and Madden NFL 07. In addition, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is now fully supported without any caveats.
* GL Shading Language (GLSL) support
* Shader Model 2.0
* Point size, scaling, and point sprites
* Volume textures
* Floating point textures
* Framebuffer Object (FBO) re-write
* Support for the new FBO extensions
* New memory allocator
* Optimized file operations
* Anti-aliasing support
* Improved ALSA support, including support for Dmix and MMap
* Improved multimedia timer thread
* Dynamic CPU speed support
* Improved joystick functionality
* D-Bus improvments
* Steam improvements
* Improvements for ATI users
* Copy protection improvements (SafeDisc 4.x)
* Cedega UI Improvements
* Ubuntu Edgy fixes
* GDDB multiple volume support
* Updated GDDB files
* Improved mount handling
* Improved richedit support<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

since i do not advocate spam replies (thanks etc) this topic will be closed so they dont happen
for support issues go to the cedega website Code: Select allTransGaming Inc.
this download contains the relevent files for most major linux distros
downoad (via megaupload) ---> MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Last edited by revere on 06 Oct 2007 08:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed formatting
Oh goodie, goth mimes.The best of both worlds.They pretend theyre trapped in a box and then whine about how cruel and unfair it is, i wonder if you can cut the air supply to an imaginary box?
Old January 2, 2008, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

I'm installing Ubuntu on my ps3 right now :)
Old January 2, 2008, 08:02 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I use Ubuntu strictly for folding. But one day, I will learn Linux.
Old January 15, 2008, 03:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm a guru and I use Ubuntu :P I've run Red Hat Linux, RHAS, CentOS, Scientific Linux, White Box, Debian, Gentoo, Knoppix, Mandrake, Mandriva, etc., and Ubuntu is the least maintenance, which is important with the number of boxes that I run. I'm currently running 7.10 AMD64 on my home desktop and router, and 6.06 LTS AMD64 on my servers and Xen virtual machines.
Old January 17, 2008, 01:49 AM
Rookie

You may find this useful in selecting a distribution:

Sorry, can't post a link, but google zegeniestudios and it'll be the first hit.

It's a site that asks questions ending with a choice of distributions in order of suitability to your particular needs. A good starting point. And remember, most are free, so you can try several. It will only cost you time.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It will cost you CDs or DVDs as well unless you can clone the .iso to a spare HD then install from that.(like what some Mac users do if they want to install something from a DVD onto a very old computer that the user does not have a DVD drive for.
Old January 18, 2008, 01:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I currently run Fedora Core 3 on my server (haven't updated because I didn't have the heart to run 3 years up uptime) and Fedora 8 on my desktop and laptop.